got stung today and hand is now swollen.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biglongdarren

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+
got stung todat about 1 o clock at the base of my thumb and now most of the top side of my hand is swollen...i have been stung before but it had never been like this,the swollen bit is all red and itchy,i marked the swollen bit with a pen about an hour and a half ago and since then its swollen more, i have just got benadryl allergy relief tablets from asda,should i take them or just let this sting run its course??
Darren

silly question but if i start taking tablets every time i get stung will it make the next stings worse if you understand me?..like talking antibiotics everytime ye get the flu sorta thing.....

Piriton.... good idea
Diclofenac also helps

I often react differently to stings... three stings from the Greeks around the cuff of my coat ( had veil on but wore old black coat they obviously did not like, because somebody put my white FP one in wash!) had only a small effect, but one sting on my nose, on a previous occassion, caused me to look like The Elephant Man for a day or so!
One learns!

Love to hear some Sting Stories
( but not about Estate Agent Stings for " Commission!)

Don't take antibiotics for flu... no effect.. its a virus
Bottle of single malt is much better comforter.

As for stings... like flu... wrap up well before venturing out!:leaving:

"Bottle of single malt is much better comforter"

true.......but half the time I suspect that was the cause of whatever I did to cause the sting in the first place!

If you take into account the amount of these tablets hay fever sufferers take and they still work, Somerfords odd one here and there before inspections are nothing. Elevate your hand above your heart if you can. It will help with reducing the odema (swelling)

If you take into account the amount of these tablets hay fever sufferers take and they still work, Somerfords odd one here and there before inspections are nothing. Elevate your hand above your heart if you can. It will help with reducing the odema (swelling)

Not much help perhaps but after the first flush of stings and huge chumplike forearms I got used to it and in my second season stings had no effect after the initial ping. Worst was when they got my feet - itched like mad for two days and nights. Be careful though that you don’t have an anaphylactic shock as it can kill in a worst case scenario. Slightest sign see your quack - quickly.

would a person go into anaphylactic shock more or less right away after the sting,could it still happen to me nearly 11 hours on??;o|

would a person go into anaphylactic shock more or less right away after the sting,could it still happen to me nearly 11 hours on??;o|

yes, you have an allergic reaction rather than anaphylactic shock, that occurs quite quickly

remember it was an old grumpy bee and the amount of venom pumped in depends on how long the sting was in your skin

it will throb to night and still be swollen tomorrow but will more than likely itch rather than be painfull

if you go to a hospital with an allergic reaction they just give you a large dose of piriton or other antihistamine , you don't get the adrenaline or epi pen treatment unless you are in anaphylactic shock, if you are worried for the future ask for a private prescription for an epi pen ( we intend to keep one at each association apiary)

i have just got benadryl allergy relief tablets from asda,should i take them or just let this sting run its course??

I would just let it run its course.

You can put something cold on it for the itching. If you haven't gone into anaphylactic shock fairly soon after the sting your fine.

hi,
stings to the face /neck area are worse with me as swelling seems more profound a sting on the hand that swells is not life threatening unless anafolactic shocck occurs(you know what i mean if its spelled different ) but a sting on the neck can swell and cause problems breathing , if i get a sting on the face i always take piriton or the like asap. just in case as a precaution,
bees will sting

thanks for all this,its just ive been stung in the hand before and it never went this swollen,i never thought that every sting would react different..valuable lesson and will be buying a few of them epi pens to carry with me just in case things do go pear shape one day..
Darren

Darren

Epipen is not something you buy lots of just in case! U have to go to ur GP and have one prescribed then ONLY use it if u are dying and when it expires go back to ur GP for another prescription. It is dangerous to misuse an epipen. That's IF ur GP will prescribe one for u.

Eb

So did I get stung today :ack2:- nowhere near them though the garden was buzzing with excitement on crocus. heather & snowdrops. But I was gardening- didn't even feel it land but I got hit on the back of the neck Cheeky swine. :toetap05:- biting the hand that feeds them!

Epipen- need to have an existing history I think to get a prescription. You cannot administer to another must be self injected too.
Too many cluck and panic- too few really need -chill out.

Ice cube on the sting, brandy in your glass :p- and for very new bee keepers some info.... dont pull out sting you push poison in and aggravate area. Scrape away from entry point- use hive tool/credit card or similar

Last edited:
Piriton.... good idea
Diclofenac also helps

I often react differently to stings... three stings from the Greeks around the cuff of my coat ( had veil on but wore old black coat they obviously did not like, because somebody put my white FP one in wash!) had only a small effect, but one sting on my nose, on a previous occassion, caused me to look like The Elephant Man for a day or so!
One learns!

Love to hear some Sting Stories
( but not about Estate Agent Stings for " Commission!)

Diclofenac is an anti-inflammatory and there are post on here, about bee stings causing great discomfort when NSAIDs are being taken.

Here's a Google on the subject

http://tinyurl.com/63oun5t

and relevant BMJ link through SBAI

http://tinyurl.com/6afy29d

Hope this is helpful to prevent problems.

It was Hivemaker who first alerted me to this after I told him of severe reaction I had encountered 30 years ago due to taking NSAIDs and having stings.

Latest posts

Back