Good News! I got stung!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notmilk

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I finally picked up my first bee colony yesterday.
Unfortunately I forgot my gloves, and took a sting to the back of the hand.
At least now I know I'm not allergic!
I'm looking forward to my first beekeeping season!
:winner1st:

What a sweet greeting from your new bees, typical! :)
Well done, looking forward to reading how you get on. Don't forget to get stung once more (in presence of someone else) before you are totally sure about the non-allergic bit. That's the advice I was given anyway (my second sting then proceeded to go even better than the first and I wish the same to you).

Kind regards,

A

:winner1st:

Last edited:
:welcome:

After the first 100 stings, you kind of lose count :)

Something o look forward to :paparazzi:

Yes, particularly for the first several months, make sure you have a companion or a mobile with you when working the bees.
Some people's sensitivity increases, others decreases.

Meanwhile, enjoy your bees and try and avoid upsetting them. Stinging is the bees way of telling you that they don't like the way you are doing things! :)

I received my first bees a few weeks ago but have yet to be stung (been on a few apiary visits previously but no stings there either). Want to get it over with really, know it's going to happen sooner or later, not exactly looking forward to it though!

I received my first bees a few weeks ago but have yet to be stung (been on a few apiary visits previously but no stings there either). Want to get it over with really, know it's going to happen sooner or later, not exactly looking forward to it though!

Just ask the apiary manager to get a bee and sting you with it on the arm, much easier and gets the worry over and done with :)

I had been keeping bees and getting stung for 2 summers before I became fully allergic to stings.

If you do become so. Its not the end of beekeeping, I still do happily, been stung only once this summer (well by a bee anyway). I have had desensitisation therapy and have found it to be a great help, I have the equivalent of 2 stings once a month and have very little reaction to them now.

My first sting Sunday. Was pleased until Monday morning. Wrist where the sting was swollen up glands under my arm as well swelling reduced today but under arm still tender. Roll on the next one

My first sting Sunday. Was pleased until Monday morning. Wrist where the sting was swollen up glands under my arm as well swelling reduced today but under arm still tender. Roll on the next one

That's what I find happens with stings to my wrist or hand. Almost nothing for the first 24 hours, then the reaction kicks in and lasts for a couple of days.

If you wear a ring it's worth taking it off if you've been stung, or get it resized.

That's what I find happens with stings to my wrist or hand. Almost nothing for the first 24 hours, then the reaction kicks in and lasts for a couple of days.

If you wear a ring it's worth taking it off if you've been stung, or get it resized.

I only wear my rings in the winter, after being stung on the knuckle, and having to have them cut off ! I don't react badly to stings, it's just that my rings were quite tight anyway,and the small amount of swelling was enough to restrict bloodflow! They'll only go back on at the end of the season :)

My doctor tells me that the body's reaction to stings can change either way - better or worse. One sting isn't going to fortell your body's future reation.

The news was good because it means I now have bees, my first colony. :)
I didn't realise the reaction could change tho :(

Yep - I was fine for 4 years and then out of the blue - pow ... the knockout blow. Wasn't even a full venom sack. Absolutely gutted. On the plus side I had 4 fabulous years of beekeeping and met a wonderful group of people along the way. Would still recommend it to anyone ... even the doctor that was presribing my EpiPen!

I had been keeping bees and getting stung for 2 summers before I became fully allergic to stings.

If you do become so. Its not the end of beekeeping, I still do happily, been stung only once this summer (well by a bee anyway). I have had desensitisation therapy and have found it to be a great help, I have the equivalent of 2 stings once a month and have very little reaction to them now.

Having directed the attention of Someone I Used to Know to your experiences and to the availability of treatment at a hospital not terribly far away, I gather that (before even finishing the 12 weekly jabs) she has survived two real stings without going visibly grey round the gills (and all the other scary symptoms) and without even thinking of reaching for her EpiPen.
Like dpearce4, she had a couple of dodgy sessions, but is actually grateful that I steered her in that direction.
If people enjoy their bees, they really should investigate the NHS desensitisation therapy option before packing up as a result of a bad systemic reaction.

I have had several stings this season (all my own Fault) The last one was when I had gone close to the hive just to observe what was going on at the entrance. I was wearing a long skirt. Bees are naturally curious I think and without my knowing one had started to investigate the inside of my skirt When In later sat down and it was squeezed it objected and I got the full treatment. I have never reacted badly before but never got a full sac of venom. My thigh was swollen and red almost from buttock to knee before I went to bed that night. I have taken photos,but wont post them on here, for reasons of taste, to show my doctor and request referral to the allergy clinic. There is no way I am giving up beekeeping. after all the only times I have been stung is when I have made a mistake. I am learning all the time.

Stings

I got stung on Thursday,not my first sting and not by my bees.As usual reaction kicked in about 12hrs later,very swollen hand and arm and unbelievable itching.I also get a feeling of nausea,a bit like sea sickness.Does anybody else get this symptom?

I got stung on Thursday,not my first sting and not by my bees.As usual reaction kicked in about 12hrs later,very swollen hand and arm and unbelievable itching.I also get a feeling of nausea,a bit like sea sickness.Does anybody else get this symptom?

Anti-histamines should help the itching.

However, nausea is a bit more of a serious concern.
I think any such 'systemic' reaction should be reported to your Doctor. He can then quantify your response and decide things like whether you should be carrying an EpiPen in case of a more severe response to a future sting.

Meanwhile, carry a mobile (in an outer pocket!) and either have an assistant with you or at minimum make sure someone checks you in and out when working with the bees.

Margaret, that swelling is a normal reaction, the swelling spreads for quite an area. I've had my arm go nearly twice the size. Looking on the funny side, it did beg the question 'does my bum look big in this?'

Latest posts

Back