Going to settle with Top Bar Hives.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
One
So my first bees are now in my national hive, and I dont like the feel of it. Also, the horizontal hive I have made is beautiful, but took a solid month to make. So I have decided to go back to what I did thirty years ago and use Top Bar Hives. I managed to put this one together in three days from an old crate. Ive even managed to make the starter triangular beading strips on my table saw, so its cost the price of four bolts. Its not quite finished yet, just need to fit a roof and a winter board. Im going to drop the top bars into my national hive and cut and transfer the comb as soon as possible. It will also save my back any further problems. Two back operations is enough.🙂

Attachments

• IMG_20210421_165618.jpg
    IMG_20210421_165618.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210421_165608.jpg
    IMG_20210421_165608.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Sorry, I wasn't clear, I haven't kept bees for 30 years since using TBH's. Thought I would try and start again with national, but its not for me.
Do you prefer the horizontal to TBH?

Yet to stock it, but yes, I prefer them on frames and all my main kit is National. I got into trying top bars out of interest and for experience. It taught me a lot that otherwise I might not have come across keeping bees in a less bee-centric way

Finished the roof today. I made it from some old roof slats that had been behind my shed for years. I knew they'd eventually come in handy. Just the winter board to make and its finished.

Attachments

• IMG_20210423_152248.jpg
    IMG_20210423_152248.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back