Glucose for fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone on here is a food technologist and knows exactly what glucose is......

When you have cane sugar molecule, it has made from 2 molecules, glucose and fructose.

Starch is 3-ring chains of glucose molecules.

Glucose is one of the most important biological carbohydrates. It is produced by plants during photosynthesis and as such it is a common food source for non-autotrophs. Glucose, once produced by the plant, or ingested by animals or fungi needs to be stored for later use. There are two main glucose polymers used for storage: starch by plants and glycogen by animals.

Starch in pic made from 6 units of glucose

image003.jpg

Last edited:
Finman am I right in thinking that Glucose and Fructose(Honey) are the same,they are just bonded in a different way,both being simple sugars:C6H12O6

Finman am I right in thinking that Glucose and Fructose(Honey) are the same,they are just bonded in a different way,both being simple sugars:C6H12O6

Honey is mainly a mixture of two monosacharides. Fructose is in honey in liguid form and glucose makes crystals.

Fructose takes moisture from hive air and it keeps the pollen patty soft.

D-glucose is called too dekstrose.

glucose-fructose-and-sucrose.jpg

Last edited:
Is it possable to use glycerine instead of glucose when making fondant (bought the wrong thing begining with G) i see it is used in royal icing
It is used in Royal icing, but Royal icing is a mixed icing sugar product, not a boiled sugar product which is what Bakers Fondant is

I suspect glycerine was what was supposed to be used in the original post. It is used to keep the fondant pliable.

This is where the problem arises as roll-out icing is sometimes called fondant icing, but it is entirely different.

Frisbee

ps Thanks Finman.........I'd like to say I understand :hat:

Blimy! I wont be using glycerine then, Thanks Frisbee and Finman, very informative. Excellent clear answers on an excellent Forum - as always.

Marc

An update on glycerine - I could not find any liquid glycerine but found powdered. It works fine but you only need half a desert spoon full When I made it with a full desert spoon full it was too "supple" and I suspect would have slumped down between the frames - not good:(
:cheers2: Mike

An update on glycerine - I could not find any liquid glycerine but found powdered. It works fine but you only need half a desert spoon full When I made it with a full desert spoon full it was too "supple" and I suspect would have slumped down between the frames - not good:(
:cheers2: Mike

You're talking about GLUCOSE not glycerine........don't confuse that issue any futher.........:hat:

Good to hear about the amount needed though. Useful for future reference.

Frisbee

Gosh, this is getting painful. In the original post MJBee meant to say glycerin, it used in small quantities to keep the fondant supple and stop it setting into a hard block. There are many recipes available which use it. A quick bit of Googling will find them. However, I am not sure I could recommend any of them. There are some decidedly strange recipes out there, especially from the US. For example, ones involving acids to invert the sugar which is now known to be a bad thing as it creates high HMF levels.

Gosh, this is getting painful. In the original post MJBee meant to say glycerin, it used in small quantities to keep the fondant supple and stop it setting into a hard block. There are many recipes available which use it. A quick bit of Googling will find them. However, I am not sure I could recommend any of them. There are some decidedly strange recipes out there, especially from the US. For example, ones involving acids to invert the sugar which is now known to be a bad thing as it creates high HMF levels.

Are you sure MJ meant to say glycerine? Using powdered glucose is mentioned in at least 3 posts by MJ (sorry don't know if male or female)

Glycerine is used to keep icing from drying out, but that's in a mixed icing not a boiled one.

Frisbee

Apologies all I meant GlucoseSorry:redface:

Frisbee - MJ = Michael John does that help?

Last edited:
Well, I'm completely mystified but happy to ride off into the sunset on this one. How adding an extra half a spoonful of glucose could make it too supple defeats me. Of course, if it was half an extra spoonful of glycerine...

Latest posts

Back