paynes eke for a nuc (to hold fondant/top down vaping)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 hives
so I have a paynes nuc that has a feeder built in ..but I am tempted to get an eke for the nuc so it can hold some fondant (bit early for liquid feed)

I know that paynes sell one .. but am also tempted to make a wooden one and use as a multipurpose eke so I can vape from the top.

Has anyone built one like this and can share their dimensions etc

(I know millet does a cracking version of this for normal nationals)

I could make them for the Paynes nuc's but i wanted to keep them all poly for insulation purposes so i bought some poly ekes to feed fondant..i do not mind using the wooden ekes on the national poly hives as the abelo roofs are deep and cover the eke.

so I have a paynes nuc that has a feeder built in ..but I am tempted to get an eke for the nuc so it can hold some fondant (bit early for liquid feed)

I know that paynes sell one .. but am also tempted to make a wooden one and use as a multipurpose eke so I can vape from the top.

Has anyone built one like this and can share their dimensions etc

(I know millet does a cracking version of this for normal nationals)

I did this back in 2014 ... no dimensions I'm afraid. Just eyeball it. Measure twice, cut once, swear often. They worked well.

I could make them for the Paynes nuc's but i wanted to keep them all poly for insulation purposes so i bought some poly ekes to feed fondant..i do not mind using the wooden ekes on the national poly hives as the abelo roofs are deep and cover the eke.

Cheers Millet ... yeah cheap enough to get the poly one .. and it gas vapes pretty well from the front as there is no front landing pad

I did this back in 2014 ... no dimensions I'm afraid. Just eyeball it. Measure twice, cut once, swear often. They worked well.

That looks like a good idea and food for thought i might just have a play about especially with the possibility of the eke being insulated..i have some spare kingspan to use..

I butchered a Maisemore eke to treat using a sublimox my poly hives. It fits both Maisemore and Paynes polynucs.
The sublimox is inserted through a wooden stuck on panel that's covering a larger drilled hole.
It's not without some design faults - it could do with a soft foam rim to improve the quality of the seal and I'd put the delivery hole on the end wall rather than the side wall (makes it easier to treat nucs that are adjacent)
Overall it's better than previous attempts using an old demi-john cork on the nozzle to protect the entrance.
Uploading a photo is beyond me on a phone, I'll try later.

Last edited:
Hopefully this works.

The internal dimensions of the Paynes and Maisemore poly nucs is the same allowing the eke (with some cutting) to fit both. The eke is Maisemore, sitting on a Paynes nuc.

Attachments

• vaping eke.jpg
    vaping eke.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 123

Latest posts

Back