Gasvap Modifications

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My gas blow torch would not work with the GasVap. It uses a Butane/Propane mix and the flame kept going out through lack of air. I have an old paraffin blow torch that I recently refurbished so tried to use that. The first attempt did not go well. :oops::whistle:

I thought Tommy Cooper was deceased ? 😂😂

My gas blow torch would not work with the GasVap. It uses a Butane/Propane mix and the flame kept going out through lack of air. I have an old paraffin blow torch that I recently refurbished so tried to use that. The first attempt did not go well. :oops::whistle:

Fizzle thank you. I haven’t laughed so much for a while. Ten out of ten for having the courage to post this. Do you mind if I share this video?

And why on Earth don’t you lot just get a sublimox?

Sorry fizzle but that was one of the funniest minutes I have had! From disaster to disaster 😂 I bit of fettling needed!

Ive since added an extra piece of 3/4" copper pipe to the end of the gas torch and drilled some holes in it to let air in. It works now. Will update with picture tomorrow if I remember.

I like the wooden cap mod. Will try that.
Whilst not wishing to teach granny to suck eggs .... your technique of using a paraffin blowlamp is not great !

They work by letting the feed pipe and nozzle get hot ... the yellow flames you have are because the paraffin is still liquid as it jets out ... the nozzle & barrel need to get hot and the pressure needs to be adusted so that the paraffin evaporates - you will then get a sharp blue flame from the torch ... but even with an extension you may find that there is too much heat for the Gasvap ...

This will give you an idea about what is needed:

https://www.google.com/search?clien...n+blow+torch#kpvalbx=_KZbvX6S6JM-_gQaY-IOYDg9

Last edited:
Whilst not wishing to teach granny to suck eggs .... your technique of using a paraffin blowlamp is not great !

They work by letting the nozzle get hot ... the yellow flames you have are because the paraffin is still liquid ... the barrel needs to get hot and the pressure needs to be adusted so that the paraffin evaporates - you will then get a sharp blue flame from the torch ... but even with an extension you may find that there is too much heat for the Gasvap ...

https://www.google.com/search?clien...n+blow+torch#kpvalbx=_KZbvX6S6JM-_gQaY-IOYDg9
Spectacular though ! 😂😂😂

Fizzle thank you. I haven’t laughed so much for a while. Ten out of ten for having the courage to post this. Do you mind if I share this video?

And why on Earth don’t you lot just get a sublimox?
They cost £375 ... mind you for Fizzle I think it would be a cheaper option than burning his bees suit, hive and probably himself the way he is going ....

Hope a mask was used inside the hood, esp at the point vape was being blown almost straight in to the hood face ?

Spectacular though ! 😂😂😂
Very spectacular ... many years ago at a school camp one of the parent helpers was trying to light a Coleman lantern ... without the necessary knowledge and without priming the burner with the methylated spirit burn before pumping the paraffin ... the result was even more spectacular than the blow lamp video ... I arrived to see him hurling the semi exploding lantern which, by then, was a 12" diameter fire ball, towards the creek alongside which we were camping. Sadly, between him and the creek was an ex-army canvas bell tent .... the trail of burning pressurised paraffin fell on the tent, duly setting fire to it .... it amazed me at how fast canvas could burn and how ineffective buckets of water are at putting out raging tent fires !

Fortunately it was the stores tent and apart from some overcooked eggs and bacon, some reheated cans of beans and some boiled milk and the loss of a tent and the Coleman lantern there were no casualties ... well, apart from embarrassment of the said parent helper who from thereon was prevented from playing with anything that involved flame and was thereafter always referred to as Coleman ....

A little knowledge ....

Sadly, ,long before phones that could take instant videos ... It would have gone viral ....

They work by letting the feed pipe and nozzle get hot ... the yellow flames you have are because the paraffin is still liquid as it jets out ... the nozzle & barrel need to get hot and the pressure needs to be adusted so that the paraffin evaporates - you will then get a sharp blue flame from the torch ... but even with an extension you may find that there is too much heat for the Gasvap ...

Takes me back to Boy Scout camps, cooking over a Primus paraffin stove - only when it was too wet to rub two sticks together to light a fire of course...

I was taught how to use a paraffin stove in the scouts too.
Rule 1. DO NOT attempt to light it in a tent
Rule 2. Get the coil hot before opening the fuel valve, otherwise you create a flame thrower.

You are very lucky not to be very badly burned

Haha...glad you all enjoyed it. :LOL:

Give it a thumbs up for comedy value. I had Benny Hill music running thru my head when I watched it back. Thankfully no bees or keepers were harmed in the making of this video. You are welcome to share. :giggle:

Thanks for comments on paraffin lamp. I did use it before and am aware that the element needs to heat up before closing the valve. I used methylated spirits as the starter fuel. It was a cold day so maybe should have left it a bit longer. I suspect the jet was slightly blocked. Anyway the second run worked a better.

Last edited:
Hope a mask was used inside the hood, esp at the point vape was being blown almost straight in to the hood face ?

Thanks Hemo, I had a respirator on hence you can hear me muttering but not make out the words lol.

This is the simple modification I made for the GasVap. Added piece of 3/4" pipe and drilled some holes for air. Used water for demo purposes.

You have got to stop posting these madcap videos.

The pipe with the holes in it ("for air" presumably) just provides an outlet for the flame, which will burn you!.
The air needs to be added before the flame, which is exactly what any burner will do out of the box, although I suspect you have buggered that up too.

WARNING: DO NOT COPY ANYTHING THIS MAN DOES

I shared elsewhere on the forum, seems to have gone viral as a friend sent to me, thanks for being a good sport by sharing :)

You have got to stop posting these madcap videos.

The pipe with the holes in it ("for air" presumably) just provides an outlet for the flame, which will burn you!.
The air needs to be added before the flame, which is exactly what any burner will do out of the box, although I suspect you have buggered that up too.

WARNING: DO NOT COPY ANYTHING THIS MAN DOES
Heavens yes. I can see flames spitting out of those holes.

Heavens yes. I can see flames spitting out of those holes.
Yes ... what is happening is that the air is still being introduced at the point where it should be (ie: around the jet where the gas comes out of the blowtorch) all that is happening with the holes is the flame is being extended and will exit the 'extension tube' at the earliest opportunity - ie: via the holes that have been drilled. In use the tube will get far hotter than the Gas Vap and that's not what you want.. You want moderate, controllable, heat directed directly at the Gasvap.

The 'improved arrangement' suggested by Fizzle is pretty dangerous from several aspects.

Not a recommended modification ...

Fair points, it's not entirely safe. I've since removed the video as I do not want to be responsible for anybody else burning themselves or worse. I might get one of those kitchen torches which seem to work better with the GasVap.

Latest posts

Back