Gas Vape varroa treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoosling

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,
has anyone used the oxalic acid gas vape?, i've just bought one (don't think i'm allowed to name the company) and wondered how good they are?, it seems like a kinder and quicker way to deal with varroa.

Firstly. You should be aware that treatment of this sort is not permitted as it's not a licensed application if you are not using apibioxal .. and I understand that apibioxal gums up the Gasvap ... there are loads of threads on here about it if you search for Gasvap - the seller and inventor brought it to our attention when he first made it.. so don't worry unduly - you are not the first in here to have bought and used one. You should also take notice of the PPE requirements which are not as well publicised as they might be. OA is a pretty noxious substance and one whiff in your lungs or eyes and you won't let it happen again!

Ive got one and use apibioxil in it. I think its great. Lot easier than a traditional sublimator with 12 or 24v car battery. Yes you need to be v careful with any sublimation I use a full face mask rated for acids. And use acid rated rubber gloves. I would imagine the very thin copper tube would over time get a bit clogged but I jus use a little very fine steel wool and a bbq skewer to clean it

Thankyou both , i shall give it a go

What's the best time of the year to do it in your opionion ?

Three treatments five days apart when you take the honey off at end of August or start of September and another go before Christmas. Or if you catch a new swarm or have a brood break you could also use it.

Ive got one and use apibioxil in it. I think its great. Lot easier than a traditional sublimator with 12 or 24v car battery. Yes you need to be v careful with any sublimation I use a full face mask rated for acids. And use acid rated rubber gloves. I would imagine the very thin copper tube would over time get a bit clogged but I jus use a little very fine steel wool and a bbq skewer to clean it

Three treatments five days apart when you take the honey off at end of August or start of September and another go before Christmas. Or if you catch a new swarm or have a brood break you could also use it.

I’ve also got one This year as I usually use Apivar or Apiguard. It gets a little expensive as your apiary grows Though so ready for a change.

OA is very reliant on a correct and constant heat to sublimate. Has anyone looked at Possible thermometers to check it is at the correct temperature before being inverted?

Latest posts

Back