furniture polish

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonybloke

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
3 Commercial hives with National supers, Top Bee Space. + 2 Nucs
Last edited:
Two main questions
-- what's it like to use? (too hard/soft? nice smell? nice shine?)
-- did you do the brew outdoors? (or wasn't the smell too bad?)

I was thinking of going a very similar route, but maybe with the addition of a spoonful of linseed oil ...

Two main questions

I was thinking of going a very similar route, but maybe with the addition of a spoonful of linseed oil ...
I used a few drops of pine oil amazing smell

Two main questions

1, it's lovely to use, soft and easy to apply. lovely smell, and buffs up to a lovely deep shine. (the carnuba wax does that)
2, wax heated indoors, turpentine warmed outdoors (in a tin can stood in hot water)

It looks good Tony, thanks for both the recipe and the picture :)

I would be wary of adding linseed oil. A teaspoonful is perhaps not a lot if in a larger quantity but a dessert or even table spoon would almost certainly make it hard work to polish with. It relies on the turps mostly evaporating in use with some elbow grease to get the shine or lustre.

But by all means try it and let us know...

I would be wary of adding linseed oil. A teaspoonful is perhaps not a lot if in a larger quantity but a dessert or even table spoon would almost certainly make it hard work to polish with. It relies on the turps mostly evaporating in use with some elbow grease to get the shine or lustre.

But by all means try it and let us know...

Years ago I worked at a place where we made a ‘posh English antique furniture polish’ for use in the UK and to export to USA and around the world – it was formulated to require plenty of elbow grease and it was and still is sold by the ton.

Did it contain linseed oil?

French polishing gives a superb finish, but needs lots and lots of coats of polish; I suppose beeswax polish is of a similar ilk. They are nothing like these silicone spray finishes/polishes that are popular because they need little effort but give nothing extra to the undrlying wood.

No linseed oil or silicone– the hardness of the polish was adjusted by changing the percentages of the waxes in the formulation.
I can only remember two waxes that were used out of six in the formulation - beeswax and carnauba wax and they were experimenting in synthetic waxes at the time (30 years ago).

Latest posts

Back