frozen DB varroa technique

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
Here's another way to fight against Varroa BUT is it any better than just
using a capping fork to take all the brood out ?I can see the sense in this.
From what i have read you use 2 full frames of Db cells so you can rotate.

Did you know Varroa mites are attracted to developing drone brood much more than they are attracted to worker brood? By using a few frames of drone comb you can lure Varroa mites to the developing drone brood, and the mites become trapped within the drone cell when the bees cap the cells. Remove the frame of capped drone cells. Put it in a plastic bag in your freezer overnight to kill the mites. Remove from the freezer and let warm. With the cappings scratcher on page 45 break open the drone cells. Then, put the frame back into the colony and allow the worker bees to clean out the cells, getting rid of the dead varroa mites and drones. After the queen lays drone eggs in these cells again, this Varroa trapping cycle is repeated. Therefore the above cycle may be repeated to capture and kill more mites. By utilizing this process a large percentage of Varroa mites are naturally eliminated without chemicals.

This is what dumping drone comb is about. Yer V goes inna the wee cells, and the bee person cuts it off. simples.

Time you were back at work. Yer little grey cells are burning out.

PH

Drone brood removal is an established way of reducing varroa but it is not a cure on its own. It is usually lumped together as part of "IPM".

The NBU guide says that you need to take action if 5% of drone cells have varroa. That is 1 in 20 uncapped cells showing a mite - which is a lot less than most people would think worth worry about.

There was a priceless letter in BBKA News last year from someone who said they never saw varroa mites when they inspected their hives so they didn't think they had had a problem with varroa. However, they were losing hives hand over foot and went on to expound all sort of ideas why this might be - ignoring the obvious.

Those with either better eyesight or a bit more knowledge will know that when you see varroa cimbing over the bees it is almost too late.

Varroa populations can be drastically reduced by the removal of brood but the best solution along these lines is a shook swarm, ideally followed by an OA treatment - as I found out this year.

Wee story to bakc up what is above.

In Germany we were taken to an apiary and told to check it out, some 20 colonies. Listless bees, good brood pattern but small patches on the frames.

One observant person saw one bee with a mite on it. This being pre varroa in the UK.

In the lab the brood was heaving with mites. Crawling with them.

Apiary supported with clean brood as a teaching tool.

Beware.

PH

This is what dumping drone comb is about. Yer V goes inna the wee cells, and the bee person cuts it off. simples.

Time you were back at work. Yer little grey cells are burning out.

PH

:iagree:

has anyone got a white van they can lend him

I can't wait to get back to work Ph lost a small fortune this wk.

Can you tell i have been a bit bored :D

Latest posts

Back