Varroa aggregate on young drones, IN PREFERENCE to nurse bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With their reputation for suffering stress I doubt the drones would be much use afterwards.
Do drones have a reputation for suffering from stress ? I've never seen drones unduly affected by OA sublimation ... Is there some evidence of this that I haven't seen ?

The q&a at the end of the video is, I thought, as useful as the actual presentation; quite a lot of stuff is covered in response to questions from ordinary beekeepers wanting to know how they can use the information.

Do drones have a reputation for suffering from stress ? I've never seen drones unduly affected by OA sublimation ... Is there some evidence of this that I haven't seen ?
Yes, it's why you don't lock them in mini nucs for three days.

Pete little also made a comment about the speed they get stressed when being collected for ii, in the interviews with beekeepers book.

Lots of drones: caged:trouble

Yes, it's why you don't lock them in mini nucs for three days.

Pete little also made a comment about the speed they get stressed when being collected for ii, in the interviews with beekeepers book.

Lots of drones: caged:trouble
In my defence, I DID say I think it would be tantamount to killing them anyway…
However there would then be an opportunity to let the queen produce more with no interference.

In my defence, I DID say I think it would be tantamount to killing them anyway…
However there would then be an opportunity to let the queen produce more with no interference.
Absolutely, this video has been quite illuminating for me, it's often by throwing ideas around that we come up with new methods.

At last I got round to watching the video, as per Baconwizards suggestion. Fascinating. Turns what we thought we knew on its head. Yet to watch the Q&A . However he suggests that as mites prefer to be on adult Drones, they cushion the workers from mite attack. So if we tackle Drones then mites will just have a party on the actual workers. Perhaps he addresses this in the q&a, which I shall now watch

It’s fascinating nevertheless. It’s good that there are ground breaking discoveries still being made
It won’t make a scrap of difference to my OAV regime but it’s still a very clever study

It’s fascinating nevertheless. It’s good that there are ground breaking discoveries still being made
It won’t make a scrap of difference to my OAV regime but it’s still a very clever study
I probably aught be clear... I am not suggesting for a moment that WE all go and start trapping young adult drones for some kind of alternative treatment regime. I am throwing the idea out there is all. I would want to see proper controlled studies done by experienced beeks and academia.

With regard to one's current plan, I think it's well worth knowing that your alcohol wash is giving you 1/3 the true reading if there are plenty of young adult drones in the colony and that it will jump-up by 2/3 in a dearth followed by a massive but initially unseen increase in the infection-rate of DWV among others.

I think quite a few people might not treat with a mite load of 1% but would do at 3 or 4% for example.

The q&a at the end of the video is, I thought, as useful as the actual presentation; quite a lot of stuff is covered in response to questions from ordinary beekeepers wanting to know how they can use the information.
That's true, I just wanted to encourage anyone who looked at the time-stamp and couldn't be bothered with it, to at least watch the presentation itself.

At last I got round to watching the video, as per Baconwizards suggestion. Fascinating. Turns what we thought we knew on its head. Yet to watch the Q&A . However he suggests that as mites prefer to be on adult Drones, they cushion the workers from mite attack. So if we tackle Drones then mites will just have a party on the actual workers. Perhaps he addresses this in the q&a, which I shall now watch
Seems to me that we want to encourage lots of new drones to be reared, preferably in a single, predictable location, and then to target them for treatment while 3-4 days old, and while there is a nectar-flow. How that could be done without killing them or buggering-up something else is problematic, I think.

I am crossing my fingers for a future drone-pheromone that can attract mites to a sticky pad. But that's just my fantasy.

They do. Not sure that OA specifically is a problem, maybe. I think I have a link to another seminar where they corrolated poor performance of drones and thus the failure of queens, to chemical treatments and pesticides. The memory is a bit vague on the specifics. If you are interested, I'll see if I can dig it out for you, but it's another hour or so of time to watch.

I probably aught be clear... I am not suggesting for a moment that WE all go and start trapping young adult drones for some kind of alternative treatment regime.
I know you’re not. You’re simply sharing a discovery you found particularly exciting.
Swarm posted the same video over 2 weeks ago but I seem to have missed it then.

They do. Not sure that OA specifically is a problem, maybe. I think I have a link to another seminar where they corrolated poor performance of drones and thus the failure of queens, to chemical treatments and pesticides. The memory is a bit vague on the specifics. If you are interested, I'll see if I can dig it out for you, but it's another hour or so of time to watch.
I’m pretty sure I’ve seen similar but am fairly sure there’s no mention of Oxalic..it’s more the likes of Amitrax/pyrethoids.

Just been watching an interview with Dr. Lamas, covers some of the stuff discussed here including the idea of drone trapping to treat for mites.

I've not watched the video yet, but based on the comments here it strikes me that in a Demaree, there will presumably be a point where most of the young drones are in the upper box above a QX and/or Demaree board. I wonder if hitting them with OA at that stage might be beneficial.

I'll watch the video later. There's other stuff to be getting on with at the moment.

James

Latest posts

Back