Varroa aggregate on young drones, IN PREFERENCE to nurse bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaconWizard

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
This is long (first 50mins is most useful) but people NEED to see this research, it is extemely interesting and potentially groundbreaking.

It seems to me that a potential treatment that could come out of this (rather than better detection methods) might be to insert drone-comb, trap it in a queen-cage once filled with eggs/drone-brood and then either kill or treat the trapped drones during the 4 days following emergence. Especially in May, June and July.

EDIT: Some of you seem not to know the difference between young adult drones, and brood. I am perfectly well aware of the practice of trapping and dicarding capped drone BROOD. This is not that, as "4 days following emergence" would suggest. If you haven't watched the video, you won't have a clue what I am talking about nor how to respond in an informed manner.

Last edited:
This is long, but people NEED to see this research, it is extemely interesting and potentially groundbreaking.

It seems to me that a potential treatment that could come out of this (rather than better detection methods) might be to insert drone-comb, trap it in a queen-cage once filled with eggs/drone-brood and then either kill or treat the trapped drones during the 4 days following emergence. Especially in May, June and July.

I thought that was an approach already being used by people who want to try and reduce Varroa without the use of chemicals.

Would of thought that the fact that Varroa have no problem hosting on drones is evidenced by the mites spread when it intially became endemic, given that drones regularly enter hives other than their own?

I thought that was an approach already being used by people who want to try and reduce Varroa without the use of chemicals.

Would of thought that the fact that Varroa have no problem hosting on drones is evidenced by the mites spread when it intially became endemic, given that drones regularly enter hives other than their own?

You need to watch the video, it covers all of that.

The only approach I am aware-of (which has varied results as I understand it) is to remove drone comb that is capped and thus the varroa that are in the cells. I am suggesting allowing the (trapped) drones to hatch so that phoretic mites congregate on them. Then remove the drones after 3 days.

Last edited:
I was not aware of that. Any links to where I can find more information about that?
Have a trawl through posts on here about "treatment free", I can remember all sorts of stuff being quoted not to mention personal experiences about using sacrificial drone brood frames etc etc.

Yes, varroa prefer drone brood, as it is sealed for longer. Once out of the cell the mites search for nurse bees, so that they can enter open cells, to which the nurses transport them.
I do some drone brood culling, but bear in mind that Drones probably have functions other than just mating that we do not understand yet

Yes, varroa prefer drone brood, as it is sealed for longer. Once out of the cell the mites search for nurse bees, so that they can enter open cells, to which the nurses transport them.
I do some drone brood culling, but bear in mind that Drones probably have functions other than just mating that we do not understand yet
I do agree that we dismiss the importance of drones.. As I said in my OP, I am talking about adult drones, NOT brood.
Watch the video!

Last edited:
Have a trawl through posts on here about "treatment free", I can remember all sorts of stuff being quoted not to mention personal experiences about using sacrificial drone brood frames etc etc.
That would be precisely not what I am suggesting.

Am out atm so not watched the video…… but didn’t we know varroa preferred drone brood anyway. Drone brood trapping been advocated for a while, I think it often falls apart in real world use though.

Am out atm so not watched the video…… but didn’t we know varroa preferred drone brood anyway. Drone brood trapping been advocated for a while, I think it often falls apart in real world use though.
Yes, we did know that. It bears no relevance to this however.

Last edited:
Not sure why this has been moved to treatment-free. The video needs to be seen by everyone and I am not suggesting going without treatment, in fact my OP specifically mentions treating them.

Last edited:
@MillMeadow
Is this the one you are refering-to? That would be drone BROOD not adults, ie the conventional method we all know about already.

Not sure why this has been moved to treatment-free. The video needs to be seen by everyone and I am not suggesting going without treatment, in fact my OP specifically mentions treating them.
Did the person that moved it watch the video and the q&a? If so, they must have understood it very differently to the way I did.

Latest posts

Back