Frog question!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have groups of frogs lying in the bottom of my pond. Some are upside down, there about six frogs in a group. To start with I thought they were mating then I found that they don't mate like that! After four days of not moving I decided they must be dead so I hoiked them out in a net. However they are still alive, their legs still moving so I presume this is some sort of thing that frogs do! So I have put them back in, where they just sank to the bottom again. They are all entwined together.
Can anyone help!

frogs hibernate. where did you think they go over winter?

they can't bury themselves as they need to have exposure to oxygenated water. they may move around a bit. they don't freeze completely as they have natural anti-freeze to protect vital organs.

you have disturbed their "winter cluster". lucky it's mild.

Last edited:
Perhaps they are a bit tired after all that mating

frogs hibernate.

where did you think they go over winter?

you have disturbed their "winter cluster". lucky it's mild.

:iagree:
Frogs generally hibernate in the mud at the bottom of ponds

http://www.arkive.org/common-frog/rana-temporaria/

probably hibernating

Has been research on responses by fish to levels of dissolved oxygen in deep water lakes, that have a winter thermocline, with deoxygenated water mimicking a pollution event.
Frogs seem to select shallow ponds and ditches to overwinter in, may be worth checking your pondwater for pollution, do you have fish in it?

Doris has a friend who breeds carp, he apparently has huge airstones running to oxygenate the water, possibly you could try that if you suspect a problem?

I should think if the fish in the pond are not gasping for air on the surface, the water would be oxygenated enough for frogs!

if there is no frog spawn in your pond, then they are getting ready to ball the first female to enter the pond

they were fine and hibernating

frogs can even have frozen extremities and no heart beat but wake up fine when things warm up a bit. True reanimation.

Thanks everyone, they have been mating already which is why I was confused by these groups laying on the bottom! Maybe they were just having a lie in! No problems with oxygenation as the pond is fed by a constant spring which flows in at 10 degrees so it never freezes either. Thanks again though, just never seen it before and always had ponds!
E

if you say they have been mating you should have frog spawn already, if not and you have seen a ball of frogs all tangled up then they are all males resting after balling and are awaiting females

Don't worry too much. The temperature will be low enough to make them very lethargic! But it will not go below 4 degrees Celsius unless all the pond freezes. The bottom is often at 4 degrees C in winter as thaft is the maximum density point for water. How lucky it is, that water has that peculiar property, for life on Earth as a generality!

RAB

"How lucky it is, that water has that peculiar property, for life on Earth as a generality!"

and to allow the production of eco-friendly fridges!!!!! so long as you keep the top frozen a water jacket will stay happily at 4C.

Upside down frogs=dead frogs

Pond full of frogs in a garden we were working in today loads of frogspawn in there as well

sa6e9aqe.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back