• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

free hive of nasty bees Sleaford

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscarmonster

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
A member of my associations has a hive of nasty bees in a friends garden.
He plans to deal with them tomorrow evening, they are free to anyone who can deal with them.
Call me 01400 261116
Steve.

Pity they're so far away, had a request for such bees for:
"Hi. Anyone got some very defensive bees they don't want. Looking to install on two story flat roof in Newport. As deterrent to thieves. No where near anyone going about lawful business."

"Hi. Anyone got some very defensive bees they don't want. Looking to install on two story flat roof in Newport. As deterrent to thieves. No where near anyone going about lawful business."

Good job they're so far away.
If the prime reason for getting them is a natural burglar deterrent, then how much beekeeping attention do you think they'll get after being installed on the flat roof?
If the requestor is not already a beek, then more than likely none, and they'll become a harbour for disease and be a liability for every other colony locally.

If the prime reason for getting them is a natural burglar deterrent, then how much beekeeping attention do you think they'll get after being installed on the flat roof?
If the requestor is not already a beek, then more than likely none, and they'll become a harbour for disease and be a liability for every other colony locally.

Well ... I accept that unmanaged beees in that sort of situation is undesirable on a lot of levels and certainly drones from such a colony are not something that anyone would wish on beekeepers whose queens mate in that area .... BUT - where does this idea come from that 'un-managed' bees are a harbour for disease.

Where is the evidence for that statement ?

If you leave nasty bees as a deliberate deterrent to thieves - and you have no warning sign - and someone is stung and falls off the roof and dies - YOU will be liable.

No IFS, BUTS or MAYBEs.

You will be liable. And if sued, and have assets, prepare to lose them.

The request was from one our better beekeepers as it happens, although I didn't state that in my 1st post. But I do think it was a tongue in cheak request, but then again..........

If you leave nasty bees as a deliberate deterrent to thieves - and you have no warning sign - and someone is stung and falls off the roof and dies - YOU will be liable.

No IFS, BUTS or MAYBEs.

yet if some one has bees that are a "challenge" for the fun of it and puts them up on them on the roof to be safely out of the way, then its another story.

How are the bees going to know who to sting and who not to? Wont they just sting innocent people too?

How are the bees going to know who to sting and who not to? Wont they just sting innocent people too?

They innocent ones will not be wearing masks and carrying a Swag bag, and even less likely to be on the roof...???

No IFS, BUTS or MAYBEs.

Who establishes that the bees were known to be nasty or left as a deterrent?

Surely a sign that says "Warning..Bees" means that the person who put the sign there is indicating that the bees may cause harm?

Who establishes that the bees were known to be nasty or left as a deterrent?

Surely a sign that says "Warning..Bees" means that the person who put the sign there is indicating that the bees may cause harm?

There was no mention of any warnings in the orginal proposal.
If you place bees on an elevated space, and people get stung, it is reasonable to expect they may fall. And HSE assessment would include that possibility.

So a court would rule that a warning sign would include warning about stings etc.

Our Assoxiation Apairy has a warning sign saying "Warning- Bees. You may be stung. "

It may sound silly but if you use anti burglar paint on drainpipes which make them slippery, you must have a warning notice or you will be liable if someone slides down and injures themself.

(Of course if we has US laws, all the above would be irrelevant: you would be within your rights to shoot any burglar on your property)

There was no mention of any warnings in the orginal proposal.

I didnt say there was..

I was using it as an example........As soon as you give a warning you are acknowledging that there is a danger...

If somebody gets caught stealing a beehive full of bees off an "elevated space" and gets stung......can he therefore sue the owner?

I think most beeks would prefer that nasty bees are not encouraged to remain in the gene pool, and if the only thing between a thief and property is some bees, then the property is in need of some better physical protection anyway. If a thief can get to the hive, they'll probably steal the hive!

A thorny climbing rose will make a much more effective thief deterrent than a hive of bees, to start with it'll work in the rain and at night too.

Latest posts

Back