Dealing with swarms

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkermel

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm fuming. It's been one heck of a year with swarms in Cornwall. I'm not on a swarm list as I'm full on with my work atm. But on Facebook and with customers I'm hearing of nasty advice for how to deal with bee swans that have gone Into buildings. At least 3 times I've heard people say they were told to poor petrol over them. Honestly don't understand how some can call themselves bee keepers when they behave like that. . Have also been dealing with the reply when someone calls a swarm collector they they say just leave them alone when they are on a tree they will move on soon. . . .ffs ok rant over

I'm fuming. It's been one heck of a year with swarms in Cornwall. I'm not on a swarm list as I'm full on with my work atm. But on Facebook and with customers I'm hearing of nasty advice for how to deal with bee swans that have gone Into buildings. At least 3 times I've heard people say they were told to poor petrol over them. Honestly don't understand how some can call themselves bee keepers when they behave like that. . Have also been dealing with the reply when someone calls a swarm collector they they say just leave them alone when they are on a tree they will move on soon. . . .ffs ok rant over
I am not endorsing those messages when I say this, but, and I'm not trying to sound controversial here...

From a homeowner's perspective, honeybees in buildings need sorting (obvs. solitary and bumbles just need leaving). BBKA/Association swarm collectors won't/shouldn't deal with these normally, as they lack both the insurances and the skillset. Of course, there are people who love a good extraction/cutout... but generally, you are into the realms of professional pest controllers, some of whom will extract (preferable for many reasons, including chemical residues) rather than exterminate the bees.

That said, this can be expensive. Certainly several hundred pounds. Someone near me was recently quoted £2k.

So I think when advising, there needs to be an element of pragmatism/realism. Not everyone can/will spend that kind of money, and, if a homeowner can safely try and deal with these themselves, that is certainly an option that a responsible beekeeper should not hold back from discussing.

Equally, on the other matter, most swarm collectors are private individuals. There may be reasons they can't respond to a swarm (maybe they are away, or maybe they have no more capacity to take on more swarms - though in that case, they shouldn't really put themselves forward). So, when faced with a call from a worried homeowner who has a huge, intimidating prime swarm hanging from their apple tree, and they are afraid to go outdoors.... And if you as an individual are unable to respond (and unable to help point the householder to another collector), it is a completely legitimate piece of advice - and surely a great relief to the householder - to have their natural behaviours explained, and for them to be told that - even if not collected - they will be on their way soon to find a new home.

As a beekeeper, neither piece of advice is ideal, but life is not perfect. The needs of humans (whether the householder or the collector) also need to be fairly considered.

Latest posts

Back