Foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's worth knowing for the future.

Any idea what they consider bulk as I have had compatibility issues in the past.

£200.00 plus. I've had no issues with it fitting my frames - but then again I usually use Maisie's second quality :D

£200.00 plus. I've had no issues with it fitting my frames - but then again I usually use Maisie's second quality :D

Ah thats not too bad.

All my frames are maisies seconds. I think they are great.

My stumbling block was using CWJ (thornes) foundation.

Its probably 1-2mm bigger than maisies and needs trimming to fit in the frame.

A right old PITA

But it wasn't equal - easipet is cheap imported chinese 'wax' of dubious origin and hygiene liberally laced with paraffin wax. I wouldn't give a toss whether the bees 'liked' it - I wouldn't have it near my hives.
Neither will i once this batch i have in my hives has gone, the only reason being from the hygiene side of things.. after several of years of reading and learning i do not trust easipet.. my comment was aimed at another comment that mentioned bees where reluctant to draw cheap foundation out, that was not the case for me and my employees.

My stumbling block was using CWJ (thornes) foundation.

Its probably 1-2mm bigger than maisies and needs trimming to fit in the frame.

A right old PITA

Yep, both in deeps and shallow frames, been there, done that,have a selection of T-shirts :D

I've always bought my foundation from CWJ and it's always come as Thornes but about 1/3rd of the cost.

Their prices have gone up quite considerably over the past two years so id thought I'd try somewhere else.

I'll report back once I receive it

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

That’s were I got mine last year as they were cheaper than big T. Very surprised when it came with Thornes labelling.
S

Has anyone used STB foundation and can provide a well tested report on it. I need to by a considerable amount of 14x12 brood wired foundation and a saving of 20% is very tempting.
Does STB take pre-orders for collection at BeeTradex??

Has anyone used STB foundation and can provide a well tested report on it. I need to by a considerable amount of 14x12 brood wired foundation and a saving of 20% is very tempting.
Does STB take pre-orders for collection at BeeTradex??

You seem to be the only one in this thread who understood what the OP was asking.

He knows that Simon’s price is low. He’d like to know if anyone’s tried it, and if it’s any good. He wasn’t asking for a lecture on whether he should buy something more expensive.

Generally, I find Simon’s stock is worth buying. But I’ve not tried his foundation. I echo the original and Brian’s question.

Maisemore give 25% discount on larger orders, I not looked at Simon site. I can say the bees seem happy with maise though last year.

Maisemore give 25% discount on larger orders, I not looked at Simon site. I can say the bees seem happy with maise though last year.

100 sheets of 14x12 is £150 at STB and £159 at Maisie's.

Personally Never used STB's foundation.

Just bought 100 sheets of wired foundation along with 4 poly nucleus hives and "Postage was FREE" from Simon The Beekeeper.
Worth a punt

You do not have weight of the foundations. Only number of sheets.

Our langstroth foundation is 100 g and it is good, because bees can draw cell walls to half way.

I had mine delivered the other week.

Came in unbranded packaging and was a good weight.

More than likely imported if the wiring is anything to go by.

We will see how the bees react to it in the spring.

It fits the maisies frames perfectly though and seems OK.

I wouldn't buy foundation from stb

That's an interesting statement. Last two years I've purchased foundation from Abelo. It was packaged and labelled up from Thornes.
This I've got from STB appears to be the first grade foundation like I've purchased in the past.
It's worth a try.
Now that beekeeping seems to be on the rise with more and more people wanting bees some retailers are charging well over the odds for some things.
High cost doesn't mean best quality these days.

You do not have weight of the foundations. Only number of sheets.

Our langstroth foundation is 100 g and it is good, because bees can draw cell walls to half way.

I wondered when anyone would spot that. Was resisting getting into this thread but you hit the nail on the head. Number of sheets is one thing, guage is another. For example Langstroth sheets come anywhere from 10 to 28 sheets per Kg.

10 per Kg is great foundation but as wax is essentially priced by weight it is the most expensive option (but worth it). We have our own wax processed for us and it is about 12 per kilo. British and other sizes pro rata. Before deciding if your 100 sheets of whatever is good value you need to know how much wax you are actually getting. One persons 'it feels quite heavy' may be another persons 'it feels too light'. Part of the advertised description should be how many sheets per lb or kg.

Early in the thread the difference between wired and unwired in price was mentioned and the thread only offered the options of running the supers as unwired. Wired foundation is one of the UK's more bizarre variants. sure..it exists in some other countries but as a fringe product. Most serious bee countries...and many less so...run on unwired foundation all the time but with prewired frames. More work at day 1 but gee the savings thereafter are massive in time and convenience.

As regards the statement/allegation about the easipet product being make in poor conditions and 'cut' with paraffin wax? You do have facts to back that up don't you? If not, statements like that could be setting yourself up for a lawsuit. To me it is NOT obvious that this is the case unless you have seen a
reliable analysis. FWIW...IF it came from China it is most likely to have come from some of the most advanced facilities in the world and the assumption that Chinese product is inferior health and hygiene wise is generally a prejudice rather than a fact. What is sometimes the case with Chinese wax is that it is softer...it just is....and can lead to saggier combs. Chinese wax also has a risk of containing contaminants...mostly varroacides...in higher amounts and in more types...than we expect here BUT its all down to how tightly the client (the one in the chain contracting the product from the Chinese manufacturer) writes their spec. They can do anything we can do here, and wax analysis is commonplace there so if you order high purity on your spec you get what your spec says. However if all you seek is cheapest....that exactly what you will get.

I do not directly know the products being discussed and may never, but I have not heard any negativity about these suppliers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back