foundation wax and cell size

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have watched this topic over other forums and people getting very enthusiastic about it all and lots of hot theories grew up.

I look at my combs and if the bees want to change the cell size, for say drones then they do. They are not shy about what they want.

Then I see the research I hare quoted and they are saying that in fact varroa numbers were found to have increased, and that is enough for me.

Working on the KISS basis, what is the point in it all? None of benefit that I can see.

PH

Possibly the names don't mean anything to you Blackbrood but one of the researchers on that paper is one of the most respected in the USA.

Memory says Cornell Uni but I may be mistaken on that.

PH

that still doesnt make him/her right PH and just because you accept some one verbatim doesnt mean I have to.

This is a quote from a research paper from Cornell University

"Three years of research at Dyce Laboratory at Cornell University have shown that screen bottom boards have no effect on mite populations"

source document here
but people on here seem to swear by them.

At the end of the day a research paper is some ones opinions based on observations at a given time, in a given locality with their strain of bees and circumstances. That does not mean it is right for me, in my situation in my own set of variables.

What I want is some one on here who has tried it and their opinions and a chance to ask them questions. IE not just a reference to some one else's work and a quote saying, this is what this person has wrote down. well wow.

Fine fine but you are over looking one wee technicality.

I could tell you a complete load of rubbish on here, anyone can.

When some one like Delaplane publishes they are peer reviewed.

Makes a wee bit of a difference that does.

PH

"Three years of research at Dyce Laboratory at Cornell University have shown that screen bottom boards have no effect on mite populations"

Quite possibly so. I changed to OMFs (yes, that is the terminology I prefer to use) for the very good reason of over-wintering. If any mites fall through that is a bonus, but I don't rely on it. Most of this is marketing hype, that is all.

Most sellers only reproduce the (supposed) positives of their wares, in their marketing blurb, and most inexperienced buyers fall for it.

KISS priciples usually prevail in the long run.

Regards, RAB

What did you attribute your lack of varroa to then HP. If it wasn't small cell foundation and it wasn't the bee breeding, COTS Carniolan, then . . . ?

Three years of research at Dyce Laboratory at Cornell University have shown that screen bottom boards have no effect on mite populations

This is not news. I heard this several years ago at about the same time I heard about OMFs.

The purpose of OMF floors is ventilation (especially in poly hives) plus the ability to monitor mite fall. I have heard that at best they will remove 10% of mites but as the critters breed a lot faster than that OMFs have little impact on the overall population.

The only floor of OMF type which claims to have an impact is the Happy Keeper. I know someone who swears by them but I remain unconvinced.

Umm.. yes Rooftops to a point.

Bernard started researching floor ventilation in the early 80's, timber floors that is and found that coupled with top insulation it much improved wintering.

PH

What did you attribute your lack of varroa to then HP. If it wasn't small cell foundation and it wasn't the bee breeding, COTS Carniolan, then . . . ?

Don't you watch the vidio's Hombre.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi8DGTGDA8s[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFYImfP3ecE[/ame]

Last edited:
Um, yes Hivemaker, avidly, the old ones are the best don't you think.

Google Map puts me between 5.3 and 5.9 miles away by road. So I was right then, it wasn't small cell comb that sorted out the varroa problem, but meticulous observation.

What was that he said? No, not the "Just pick the f***ing bugs off them", the bit about the high varroa load that caused a heavy drop following the OA drip? Hmmmmm.

How's your trailer/colony arithmetic? :auto:

Rather than "Varroa Free" shouldn't the state of affairs be more correctly termed "manually varroa depleted".

Not to do down the effort put in but surely a 5% bee infestation rate at the end of the season is what we are all aiming for with our treatments.

The key is what effect does this herculean effort mean for the newly "clear" colonies for the coming season.

what'd be interesting would be a study of mite drop in these colonies during the coming season (or regular drone comb sampling) - or perhaps regular screening of a sample of bees from each colony.

Perhaps Prof Reitnicks could support a postgrad (or honours project student) to spend some time down with HP?

Would Prof Reitnicks be requiring the Parker Knowel during his studies at the shed? This might be a contentious issue during bucket of tea quaffing sessions.

Back