2 swarms in 1 week...complete beginner & just wax foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardK

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Ideally 3 to 5.
When I started on this journey into bee keeping I knew I could purchase bees - but we're renovating our house right now and frankly, that's where most of the money is going. So...after far too many hours of YouTube I decided to try and catch a swarm. I don't have any old comb which seems to be the most important bit, but you use what you've got right? So a 5 frame OSB bait hive, just under 40 litres before the frames. 2 frames with full wax foundation sheet and 3 with 1/3 sheet - mounted in an almond tree with the entrance facing south.

Long story short, an hour ago a swarm arrived in the bait hive in my garden - the second one this week!

This is mad. Fun though. Here's a little video for you all:
View attachment Swarm Wednesday May 19 2021.mp4

You're very lucky! I spent two seasons, whilst I was still researching beekeeping, trying to tempt a swarm. We'd had a couple of swarms in the garden over the years before, so I knew there was a chance. Like you, I had no old comb, so tried a bit of foundation, and some swarm lure, lemongrass oil etc. I had three bait hives out for two years and never got anything. Eventually I couldn't wait any longer, so just had to bite the bullet and pay out for bees.
Have you bought a lottery ticket lately? :D

I put a bait hive up last year in my garden.. Lo and behold i caught a ladies swarm from across the road... She wasnt best pleased

When I started on this journey into bee keeping I knew I could purchase bees - but we're renovating our house right now and frankly, that's where most of the money is going. So...after far too many hours of YouTube I decided to try and catch a swarm. I don't have any old comb which seems to be the most important bit, but you use what you've got right? So a 5 frame OSB bait hive, just under 40 litres before the frames. 2 frames with full wax foundation sheet and 3 with 1/3 sheet - mounted in an almond tree with the entrance facing south.

Long story short, an hour ago a swarm arrived in the bait hive in my garden - the second one this week!

View attachment 26138

Fantastic, congrats. Did you use any kind of attractant like lemongrass oil?

Was there much scout bee activity in the hours/days before the swarm arrived?

I put a bait hive up last year in my garden.. Lo and behold i caught a ladies swarm from across the road... She wasnt best pleased

Her fault for letting them go, should have clipped the Q to save losing one.

In your case you won the prize for being proactive.

Don’t understand why. If they had not gone to your hive, they may well have flown further afield. Bees do not simply fly out of the hive and directly into another.

View attachment 26138
Great video. So now you have a colony, this is where the fun AND expense begins! Good luck.

Great video. So now you have a colony, this is where the fun AND expense begins! Good luck.

It is an excellent video. A well deserved swarm looking at the careful preparation. :)

Last edited:
I have never bought bees (admittedly I inherited quite a few), but every year I get new bees this way. Can never understand why people buy them. As bad as buying bottled water.
So in my book, you have got off to a great start.
I would be interested in a close up photo of what you have in that area of France. We have dark bees in my area of Wales and the old apiaries in Vosges. Mountain bees are the best bees!

I have never bought bees (admittedly I inherited quite a few), but every year I get new bees this way. Can never understand why people buy them. As bad as buying bottled water.
Just because there are swarms aplenty where you keep your bees it’s not always easy to catch swarms in a lot of places.

It is and excellent video. A well deserved swarm looking at the careful preparation. :)
That is very kind of you - thank you. I did invest quite some time in it and in all honesty, I didn't think it was going to pay off.

So in my book, you have got off to a great start.
I would be interested in a close up photo of what you have in that area of France. We have dark bees in my area of Wales and the old apiaries in Vosges. Mountain bees are the best bees!
I'll get the camera onto them tomorrow as I'd be very interested myself in knowing a little more about them. Will get back to you.

Fantastic, congrats. Did you use any kind of attractant like lemongrass oil?

Was there much scout bee activity in the hours/days before the swarm arrived?
I did use Lemongrass oil - just some bog standard one from Amazon. A few weeks ago both bait hives were reasonably active then it all died off for about 7 to 10 days. The first bait hive to attract a swarm (Monday) had been very busy for about 3 days. It's hard to quantify as you never know how many are inside but I'd say around 30 to 50 pretty constantly, There were regularly around 10 to 15 on the face of the hive. It slackened off the morning of the day they arrived.

The second hive was busy, but nothing like the first one. As a result I did not expect to see a swarm arrive. It had it's moments but generally I'd say 15 to 30 bees hanging around. I think it's the bigger of the two but haven't opened up yet. Will probably move it Saturday, and then open it to transfer to a hive Monday / Tuesday. This bait hive hadn't had the lemongrass inside the box renewed since it went up about 5 weeks ago.

I'm not sure I want another one.....although catching a swarm is such fun - especially when you see it arrive.

One can always knock a Q off or offer it to someone and unite two colonies.
If running out of foundation alternate frames when frames are drawn with starter strip frames. With good forage they soon knock frame in to shape.

Latest posts

Back