2 swarms in 1 week...complete beginner & just wax foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve got six traps up...one is getting a fair bit of attention so fingers crossed!

All of my traps are in the same area so it’s interested that the scouts are ignoring five of them and favouring one.
As you say fingers crossed. In effect I had 4 out when my first swarm arrived albeit only 2 were bait hives. Another was a full 10 frame and another a 5 frame hive. They were just plonked on a garden table v's the other 2 being in trees. The bees picked the traps I'd build each with a large void under the frames. Out of interest, what are your traps like - can you post a picture?

I can't remember if you've already said, but do you have old comb in there or are you like me, starting from scratch with simply foundation and lemongrass oil?

As you say fingers crossed. In effect I had 4 out when my first swarm arrived albeit only 2 were bait hives. Another was a full 10 frame and another a 5 frame hive. They were just plonked on a garden table v's the other 2 being in trees. The bees picked the traps I'd build each with a large void under the frames. Out of interest, what are your traps like - can you post a picture?

I can't remember if you've already said, but do you have old comb in there or are you like me, starting from scratch with simply foundation and lemongrass oil?

I’ve got a few different shaped traps out as I just made them out of old scraps of wood. I’m a beginner too but I managed to get hold of an old brood frame to put in each trap along with the lemongrass oil. Here’s a vid showing the trap that is getting the most attention...

I’ve got a few different shaped traps out as I just made them out of old scraps of wood. I’m a beginner too but I managed to get hold of an old brood frame to put in each trap along with the lemongrass oil. Here’s a vid showing the trap that is getting the most attention...

You've certainly put the effort in & I really hope it pays off - you deserve it. I like the vial with cotton wool & lemongrass. I used a cue tip which dried out so quickly.

You've certainly put the effort in & I really hope it pays off - you deserve it. I like the vial with cotton wool & lemongrass. I used a cue tip which dried out so quickly.

Thanks Richard, it sounds like what you did worked a treat! I’ve tried to upload a video of the scouts at my trap today but for some reason I can’t get it to work on this thread. If you’re interested, have a look at the thread ‘Too early for swarm traps?’ in the ‘Beekeeping Forum’ section as I’ve managed to upload the vids ok to that thread. I’d be interested to hear if you had similar activity around your trap before the swarm arrived...?

Thanks Richard, it sounds like what you did worked a treat! I’ve tried to upload a video of the scouts at my trap today but for some reason I can’t get it to work on this thread. If you’re interested, have a look at the thread ‘Too early for swarm traps?’ in the ‘Beekeeping Forum’ section as I’ve managed to upload the vids ok to that thread. I’d be interested to hear if you had similar activity around your trap before the swarm arrived...?
I'd say one was very similar and that busy for probably 4 days. The second wasn't as busy so was very surprised when they turned up.

I'd say one was very similar and that busy for probably 4 days. The second wasn't as busy so was very surprised when they turned up.

This is the second day with that level of activity.....I keep expecting to see a swarm any minute! Not sure how early/late in the day they will swarm....I’m assuming it’s only really likely around lunch time/early afternoon but I may be wrong. Anybody know?

This is the second day with that level of activity.....I keep expecting to see a swarm any minute! Not sure how early/late in the day they will swarm....I’m assuming it’s only really likely around lunch time/early afternoon but I may be wrong. Anybody know?
It depends whether they cluster in a tree overnight
You can get swarms arriving any time

Our swarms arrived at 12:30 and 14:30'ish.

Hope you guys aren't getting paranoid abut attracting swarms.
" If you build it they will come" .........................

But maybe not this year ?

It depends whether they cluster in a tree overnight
You can get swarms arriving any time

With the level of scouting I’m seeing is it likely they’ve already left their home and are clustered in a tree? Or is it impossible to say...

Just excited at the prospect of seeing a swarm and getting a start at Beekeeping...

I've taken my bait hives down now...I do not want another, 2's fine!

With the level of scouting I’m seeing is it likely they’ve already left their home and are clustered in a tree? Or is it impossible to say...
Before we caught our swarms we did see 2 fly over us prior. The 2nd was 2 days before our first swarm arrived and they were flying in the direction they came from when they took up residence in the hive. We've wondered if they could be the same swarm. Maybe...maybe not I guess.

....from my experience this morning, I would say that's likely.
I was out at 9am, set up with a tripod to make a non-shaky video of the hotted-up activity at the bait-hive, when my recently split, parent hive set off in a cloud of bees. I figured the swarm would likely be heading for one of the nearby bait-hives, but I wanted to take no chances.

Being local bees, bred for easy capture ;). they settled on a convenient, thin and springy, low branch on a Scots pine about twenty metres away from the hive. I bopped them into a box and just copied what I've seen others do, emptied them in front of their new hive on a ramp and prayed they would walk in, which they did.

I didn't see a queen and presume it's one of a batch which will have emerged at the end of last week after the split. This confirms that it isn't wise or safe to leave multiple QCs, even though this was an emergency situation. Next job is therefore to read up and think about what to do with the swarmed hive colony, which possibly has a flock of queens running about. :banghead:

I've consolidated a lot of knowledge from this; one of them is that it's likely that a lot or all of my scout bee activity over the last few days was from my own bees....more observation may make that clear.

....from my experience this morning, I would say that's likely.
I was out at 9am, set up with a tripod to make a non-shaky video of the hotted-up activity at the bait-hive, when my recently split, parent hive set off in a cloud of bees. I figured the swarm would likely be heading for one of the nearby bait-hives, but I wanted to take no chances.

Being local bees, bred for easy capture ;). they settled on a convenient, thin and springy, low branch on a Scots pine about twenty metres away from the hive. I bopped them into a box and just copied what I've seen others do, emptied them in front of their new hive on a ramp and prayed they would walk in, which they did.

I didn't see a queen and presume it's one of a batch which will have emerged at the end of last week after the split. This confirms that it isn't wise or safe to leave multiple QCs, even though this was an emergency situation. Next job is therefore to read up and think about what to do with the swarmed hive colony, which possibly has a flock of queens running about. :banghead:

I've consolidated a lot of knowledge from this; one of them is that it's likely that a lot or all of my scout bee activity over the last few days was from my own bees....more observation may make that clear.

How come you emptied them in front of the hive rather than actually in the hive?

Before we caught our swarms we did see 2 fly over us prior. The 2nd was 2 days before our first swarm arrived and they were flying in the direction they came from when they took up residence in the hive. We've wondered if they could be the same swarm. Maybe...maybe not I guess.

I’m guessing you must have a huge amount of bee activity where you live if you actually witnessed two swarms flying over? I’ve never seen a swarm before....ever

some people seem to think that it's the 'proper' way to do it :rolleyes:

...not necessarily me....it's what I've mainly seen described. It seemed (unwritten), that they needed to choose to go in. I'll choose the most straightforward way if it works.

...not necessarily me....it's what I've mainly seen described. It seemed (unwritten), that they needed to choose to go in. I'll choose the most straightforward way if it works.

Do you need to find the queen and put her in first to encourage the other bees to go in?

I’m up for doing whatever is easiest too!

Do you need to find the queen and put her in first to encourage the other bees to go in?

I’m up for doing whatever is easiest too!

I'm (obviously) no expert to guide you, but the queen has to be with them in order to have any chance they will stay. They sort it out themsleves, but I believe that the queen heads into the new hive quite promptly.

Latest posts

Back