2 swarms in 1 week...complete beginner & just wax foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did use Lemongrass oil - just some bog standard one from Amazon. A few weeks ago both bait hives were reasonably active then it all died off for about 7 to 10 days. The first bait hive to attract a swarm (Monday) had been very busy for about 3 days. It's hard to quantify as you never know how many are inside but I'd say around 30 to 50 pretty constantly, There were regularly around 10 to 15 on the face of the hive. It slackened off the morning of the day they arrived.

The second hive was busy, but nothing like the first one. As a result I did not expect to see a swarm arrive. It had it's moments but generally I'd say 15 to 30 bees hanging around. I think it's the bigger of the two but haven't opened up yet. Will probably move it Saturday, and then open it to transfer to a hive Monday / Tuesday. This bait hive hadn't had the lemongrass inside the box renewed since it went up about 5 weeks ago.
Next year you will have some old comb as well - they love that!

Next year you will have some old comb as well - they love that!
Very true - that would be interesting. I've always said that I just wanted 2 hives, but now I've got 2 soo easily and quickly I am sorely temped for another go!

Hi, he said he watched it move straight from one hive of his to another. Tom Selley has just been in an article in one of the bee mags about this. They will move straight into a new nest and not bivouac, if the scouts have already found a new home before swarming.

I believe I saw this happen once too. I say "believe" because there were 8 or so hives in the apiary, and perhaps I mistook where the bees came from, but it certainly appeared that bees swarmed out of one hive, whirled around the apiary, then landed on the empty hive and moved in to that, without bivouacking.

Yes, so

Hi, he said he watched it move straight from one hive of his to another. Tom Selley has just been in an article in one of the bee mags about this. They will move straight into a new nest and not bivouac, if the scouts have already found a new home before swarming.

I had that about 6 years ago. Moved about 5 meters.. Very small entrance just a gap in a stack of Brood boxes with some brood combs.

The excitement of watching a swarm arrive never fades.
same goes for courier deliveries (especially if SWMBO has gone out for the day)

Last edited:
Great video. So now you have a colony, this is where the fun AND expense begins! Good luck.
Same thing for us last year. Curtailed beginners course. Bait give up, two swarms in a week. Great start.

I have never bought bees (admittedly I inherited quite a few), but every year I get new bees this way. Can never understand why people buy them. As bad as buying bottled water.
So in my book, you have got off to a great start.
I would be interested in a close up photo of what you have in that area of France. We have dark bees in my area of Wales and the old apiaries in Vosges. Mountain bees are the best bees!
Finally I have a decent close up photo - any ideas? I'm assuming it's a a native black bee of some sort....I've seen blacker but still! What do you think?
View attachment IMG_4437.JPG

View attachment IMG_4442.JPG

My

My assumption too. We're located at the edge of forest land covering the hills that lead out down to the coast hence there's a fair chance they came from that direction.

Any sign of a third swarm Richard....scouts? Or have you taken the trap down now?

Any sign of a third swarm Richard....scouts? Or have you taken the trap down now?
Traps are down ... it's been lots of fun catching them (partly because I was at home and got to watch) and for that reason I'd love to have another go, however, as a complete beginner 2's enough for now. Do you have any bait hives out?

Traps are down ... it's been lots of fun catching them (partly because I was at home and got to watch) and for that reason I'd love to have another go, however, as a complete beginner 2's enough for now. Do you have any bait hives out?

I’ve got six traps up...one is getting a fair bit of attention so fingers crossed!

All of my traps are in the same area so it’s interested that the scouts are ignoring five of them and favouring one.

Latest posts

Back