foundation on frames storage question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the tip, Millet; if only Abelo had thought of it when they made the mould.

They did think of it, it's the perfect size for a 2.5kg bag of fondant for emergency feeding sans crownboard. No need for an eke.
Many of their hive design innovations seem a bit underused by the majority of UK beekeepers.

They did think of it, it's the perfect size for a 2.5kg bag of fondant for emergency feeding sans crownboard. No need for an eke.
Many of their hive design innovations seem a bit underused by the majority of UK beekeepers.

Not sure they set out to allow for a block of fondant to fit under the roof; more likely that the beekeeper saw an opportunity to use the space; I'd prefer to have maximum insulation up there. If I need to add fondant, it goes on the top bars and the Abelo box feeder (which stays on all year as a CB) is turned over. That way, I don't need to spend £21 on an over-priced CB and the £35 box feeder gives better value.

Design innovation is all well and good but can get in the way of simplicity: a plain box and a well-insulated unvented roof is all that's really needed.

Not sure they set out to allow for a block of fondant to fit under the roof; more likely that the beekeeper saw an opportunity to use the space; I'd prefer to have maximum insulation up there. If I need to add fondant, it goes on the top bars and the Abelo box feeder (which stays on all year as a CB) is turned over. That way, I don't need to spend £21 on an over-priced CB and the £35 box feeder gives better value.

Design innovation is all well and good but can get in the way of simplicity: a plain box and a well-insulated unvented roof is all that's really needed.

This is what I do. 12.5kg of fondant on top bars, poly feeder upturned and on top.

Put it on Twitter, got absolutely ripped to shreds! People were not happy with that approach.

doubrt they thought any such thing - they just duplicated the design of a bog standard wooden roof with battens in to aid top ventilation

Not sure they set out to allow for a block of fondant to fit under the roof;

doubrt they thought any such thing - they just duplicated the design of a bog standard wooden roof with battens in to aid top ventilation

Fraid they did think such a thing. It was part of the original design plan...I worked closely with one of the guys who who was involved with Damien in designing it.
The moulds were made from scratch and within reason could have been any shape. IF anything the one mistake they made was with the crown board, as practically no-one in the UK overwinters 4 small nucs on top of a hive (for warmth). Something that is quite common in a few of the colder European countries.
As I've said several times many of the concepts simply aren't appreciated in the UK beekeeping world ....and some think we think we are forward thinking......LOL

Last edited:
The moulds were made from scratch and within reason could have been any shape. IF anything the one mistake they made was with the crown board, as practically no-one in the UK overwinters 4 small nucs on top of a hive (for warmth). Something that is quite common in a few of the colder European countries.

If the roof could have been made any shape then the poly should have been made much deeper and without the recess and rim replicated from a wooden roof. What happens if the catering world changes the shape of a 12.5kg block of fondant? Would Abelo change the design to follow suit? :)

Seems to me that Abelo allowed Lyson specs. to influence excessively the National poly, giving UK beekeepers too many fiddly bits to fiddle with (or seal up). If instead they'd hired Derek Mitchell as consultant we might have ended up with a lovely thick roof (saving Millet the work) and no superfluous holes in boxes.

You could...but they don't sell poly hives.

Hardly surprising when Thorne spent a fortune on a new factory geared specifically to wood production. Heard that they took a conscious decision not to enter the poly market; perhaps they realised that it was a risky return: too many designs out there with too many flaws, fighting for a slice of a small market. Abelo have an opportunity to iron out the Nat. poly design flaws and take the biggest slice of that market (as the BS poly nuc deserves to do, having learned from the mistakes of the competition) but Abelo would be wise to tailor the offer to UK, not European habits.

Kingspan is PIR. Others are Recticel and Celotex
Yes you take the roof off all winter and put the cosy on top of your crownboard with its 50mm insulation already in place
My wooden roofs are the deep ones and I have taken the battens off inside and glued the 5Omm of insulation in permanently.
Your 40mm gap above your insulation is neither here nor there.
You have to paint the cosy or the weather will strip the aluminium foil off.
When you make the boxes up it’s useful to strengthen the joins with barbecue skewers and either take the seams inside with ally tape or apply some silicone sealer. The joins on the outside are covered with ally tape.

Thanks

A couple of quick questions for you, what paint should I use to paint the insulation? Where can I get some bbq skewers cheap and should I strap the wooden hive under the insulation?

I can tell you what I do.
Yes I strap the hives
Long barbecue skewers from eBay or amazon

Paint is smooth masonry but I have one sprayed with car paint that’s come up ok.

Latest posts

Back