foundation on frames storage question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put fondant directly on to top bars. That way it is more accessible to the bees than over the crown board. Then a small home made eke, crown board, Celotex, roof.

Okay so I have been reading this thread as I am trying to get as much knowledge as possible to help my bees through winter. I have used thick plastic greenhouse polycarbonate sheets I had left over from a greenhouse build doubled them up and taped together and put round hive secured with waterproof tape the poly sheets are really good insulators, it's cut to size so it fits just over the hive there is a gap between the wood and sheets but not a huge one like the 50mm I saw mentioned earlier in thread. I have just made a front bit to go on leaving a gap for the entrance but haven't attached yet.

100mm of Kingspan above crown board and roof is now off after reading earlier posts in this thread as the plastic poly sheets are waterproof anyway. Also there is about a 60mm gap under the hive where air can get in under landing board and a small one at back.

Opinions on this would be appreciated I could always change/modify/improve this.

I admire your enthusiasm and concern for your bees but a piece of kingspan in the roof would be ample, no need to encase your hive.
The stores inside and healthy bees are far more important.

I admire your enthusiasm and concern for your bees but a piece of kingspan in the roof would be ample, no need to encase your hive.
The stores inside and healthy bees are far more important.

I am new so yes definitely fairly enthusiastic atm, as i understand it a natural nest would most likely be thicker and better insulated than my hive and the way I look at it is that I have hopefully aided in some protection from cold wind, rain, woodpeckers and added some insulation to the hive at the same time.
As a new beekeeper it's made me feel slightly better about them sitting out there all winter if nothing else. Youtube is full of "why did my bees die videos" to scare us noobs. Completely agree I imagine healthy bees and good stores would be the most important factor in any set up.

Why do Americans seem to be all about ventilation over winter?

Last edited:
First hive I've seen with a doormat for bees to wipe their feet before going in.

I am new so yes definitely fairly enthusiastic atm, as i understand it a natural nest would most likely be thicker and better insulated than my hive and the way I look at it is that I have hopefully aided in some protection from cold wind, rain, woodpeckers and added some insulation to the hive at the same time.
As a new beekeeper it's made me feel slightly better about them sitting out there all winter if nothing else. Youtube is full of "why did my bees die videos" to scare us noobs. Completely agree I imagine healthy bees and good stores would be the most important factor in any set up.

Why do Americans seem to be all about ventilation over winter?
whats with the door mat?

whats with the door mat?

There is some method in my madness here: Originally it was placed here in Autumn in front of the hive to stop European Hornets hovering under the landing board and taking bees so readily (in which it did at great job of)
Now the bees seem to like flying in the cold and rain and obviously being cold seem a bit dozy and clumsier then usual and some on their return were falling short of the hive or bumping into other bees on the sloping landing board and falling to the wet cold floor where they would become wet and too cold and end up dying. The mat stops droplets of water congregating on the mini table which seem deadly to bees this time of year.

why did my bees die?

In rough order of probability.

Starvation

Mis mated queen... that one is out of your control.

Disease.

So two out of three are in your hands though it can be argued that disease is not, it's pure bad luck more often than not.

As for horrific videos, it's your choice to watch them. I ignore anything out of anywhere other than the UK for the simple reason their conditions are so different to ours paying attention is a waste of time.

PH

i'm gonna insulate my hives this weekend with the celotex inside the roof, i found a slab of 100mm in the neighbourhood skips, may be too thick lol..

i do have some 25 and 50 around i just have to dig around my garage

I did faff on with cosies in the past but I found this method much easier..the only celotex I use is 25mm thick to fill the void in the Abelo roofs.

I use 25mm Kingspan in the roof of cedar hives. Most of my lids for poly hives are the metal ones with a high density poly insert (Swienty).

Latest posts

Back