Foundation failing in extractor!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quigs

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Not sure if this may be normal as it was my first attempt, but I extracted last night in a variable speed electric extractor and 2 foundation wires failed resulting in the foundation ending up on the sides of the drum!

It was all new foundation at the start of the year, well actually about April time.

Do the frames fit so that they go from the centre outwards or do they lay flat against the wall of the extractor, if the latter then they need turning regularly so that you extract a small amount from each side otherwise the weight of the honey on the inside will force the wax off the wires. Turn at least three times to ensure that the honey is extracted relatively evenly. With a radial extractor that shouldn't happen!
E

Thanks - Frames sit vertical with their backs against the outside of the drum, so actually when you think about it the wire is being forced in the direction where there is no restraint to the wire provided.

Did the slowly, slowly approach on the speed.

Bit gutted as the two frames where the one holding most stores..but still managed 14lb from 9 frames (inc the 2 broken ones) so not too bad for my first attempt!

What do you call the backs, if it's a radial extractor the top bars should be closest to the drum where the foundation is supported by the wedge on the top bar

I had this problem recently. I was extracting in a tangential and didn't turn it and the back half of the comb got pushed through the front. Do a bit, turn it and do it more, then speed it up.
Unless it was a radial one, in which case something has in fact failed.

Thanks - Frames sit vertical with their backs against the outside of the drum, so actually when you think about it the wire is being forced in the direction where there is no restraint to the wire provided.

Did the slowly, slowly approach on the speed.

Bit gutted as the two frames where the one holding most stores..but still managed 14lb from 9 frames (inc the 2 broken ones) so not too bad for my first attempt!

Can you explain that a bit better using the term 'top bar' and where it is! Thanks
E

Were the frames fully capped?

I would hope not - if being extracted!!

Fresh wax is always softer than older, so may blow. If there was any granulation at all tht will be asking for blown frames.

14lbs from 9 frames is a bit poor. If the honey was only in the central areas and the frames not drawn fully, I would not be surprised at that result.

Also, the balance may have been off, causing vibration.

Put all the bits in a wire sieve, cover with a clean cloth, leave overnight. It is amazing what continues to drain out.

It is commercial extractor and there should not be any problem.

- support to combs against the grid

low speed and swap often that the weight of another side does not push comb broken
carefully first side and turn and little bit more spinning second side.

but it the combs flye through the grid, speed must be high.
Usually new comb only split near upper bar and between the wire.

If the comb is too warm, it is soft and it becomes porriage.

I have hundreds of new combs every year. Yes, you must be carefull in spinning.
In 30 C temperature they are easy to split or they change form. In 20C they stand well spinning but need long time.

Last edited:
Always, been there know how it is done...

Only cure is to slow it down. The extractor I mean. ;)

PH

Latest posts

Back