Fondant Problem

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr Rock

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have used a recipe for a number of years with success producing a soft white fondant. However, I have just managed to produce a what is a hard powdery material ??? Any thoughts on why this might be ??? I heated the water, sugar mixture to boiling point then increased temp to 238 degrees F for 15 mins, then let it cool in a cold water bath, the stirred vigorously, suddenly the material seemed to harden, froth up into a hard powder ????

Thanks

The only difference to mine is I heated mine to 117 C which would be 242.6F.

It should not matter how much water is added - too little and it would boil at a higher temperature and the opposite if too much water were used.

Most add some glucose, to achieve a softer product?

I can only suggest you have finished with a higher boiling point than is required.. Faulty thermometer?

Not sure why you would boil for any fixed time after achieving the necessary boiling point, so that seems to me to be a flaw in the recipe - different amounts of water could be evaporated in that time, dependent on surface area of pan, a lid (or not), or the amount of heat energy supplied.

Last option is that you exceeeded that 15 minutes?

That is about all the possibities (as long as the mixture was stirred continuously with the vessel partly submerged in a sufficient amount of cold water.

No mention of glucose syrup in your recipe, that could be the proof in the pudding.

Thanks all. I think I may have started stirring before the mixture had sufficiently cooled, as I have very good results with this method previously.

Most methods advocate continuous stirring while cooling rapidly, I would suggest? Could be wrong, but I've never had a problem when I made it. There are certainly better reipes (ingredients and method) than you related in the OP. The last lot I made was to a simple recipe from someone on the forum. Simple precise proportions heated until dissolved and then cooled.

I have used a recipe for a number of years with success producing a soft white fondant. However, I have just managed to produce a what is a hard powdery material ??? Any thoughts on why this might be ??? I heated the water, sugar mixture to boiling point then increased temp to 238 degrees F for 15 mins, then let it cool in a cold water bath, the stirred vigorously, suddenly the material seemed to harden, froth up into a hard powder ????
Thanks

What is the cost of the ingredients, say for 12.5kg of fondant? Long ago I was banned by SWMBO from boiling sugar solutions in the kitchen :nono: so I repair to the local baker. 12.5 kg costs me £15.

What is the cost of the ingredients, say for 12.5kg of fondant? Long ago I was banned by SWMBO from boiling sugar solutions in the kitchen :nono: so I repair to the local baker. 12.5 kg costs me £15.

A friend of mine bought a 12.5 kg block and has kindly given me a very large chunk. I've got it in a sealed tupperware container while I monitor the hives and resist unnecessary feeding. :cheers2:

:iagree:
seems a heck of a lot of faff for a bit of fondant - pay £7.60 for a 12.5 kilo block of the stuff from the local Bako. Doesn't seem to ever go off either.

What is the cost of the ingredients, say for 12.5kg of fondant?

Work it out for yourself?
Sugar -about 45p a kg.
Glucose monohydrate - about £2.50 a kg.
Water - almost free.
Electricity - about 15p a unit.

Fondant will about 11-12 ish% water.

Fix your vown cost for labour.

Latest posts

Back