Fondant adventures

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
Ok,my other half is out:D time to get in the kitchen.I have sourced where she hid my glougose stuff and found the elecy scales at the top of the shelf hid behind the mixer.:reddevil:Now wheres that wok,ah there it is....
Now i have watched the video :rolleyes: how easy this is going to be :coolgleamA:
So water in wok gloooogosestuff in water heat is on in goes the sugar...
ohh yes this is looking good..i have my cool water at the ready with my jug of cool water for testing the fondant to see if it forms a soft ball.
hmmm its starts to boil so i keep it moving,waiting for the all important slow of the boil.
With my second spoon i take a little from the wok and put it into the jug with my hand to test it.
Ouch! thats Bl**dy hot!
hmm is it ready or not,its umm like a slim stuck to my fingers.No i think to my self it needs a little more time.A few minutes pass,a liitle on the spoon and into the jug ( with hand deeper in the water) hmm its sort of ready i spend a few moments rolling my fingers around in my hand trying to make a soft ball.yep yes thats it..I make a mad dash for the wok so as it dont over heat.I grab the woks handle OOOWwwwww that handle is HOT! another dash for the sink with the cool water putting my hands in there ahhhh that feels better.
Ohh no the wok ,in these mad moments i grab a t towle to put over the handle and put the wok onto the top of the cool water.stir stir stir..
It's like a bl**dy brick..ihave just invented supper glue,its set solid!
Ahh i put some water onto the work top ,try and get it out the wok and then as the video shows... need it like bread.
Owwww thats hot! hands back into the cool water.:willy_nilly:
Sooo first attemp and i end up with burnt hands and what looks like a crubly sugar block.I spend the next 15 minutes trying to get this rock hard stuff off the wok!then another 10 nminutes cleaning up all the work tops again with set sugar everywhere.
And all this because someone made a Video :rolleyes:
With in minutes of it all cleaned up in walks my other half,you been up to much she ask.
Naa nothing :reddevil:

She'll sus you!

When cool enough but still too hot for fingers, I place into a plastic sanny bag for neading and it's all bagged up too.

She will find you out believe me I have done the same lol

I will blame the Kids :D

Not sure if that was sarni bag or sani bag you meant. Wipe your hands on a sani towel :)

I'm not sure that a wok is the best vessel to be boiling sugar in, perhaps confirmed by the multiple burns - inflicted upon you by the kids?

Slightly more water or glucose perhaps.

The only reason i decided to make fondant was because i had 10kg of sugar left over from syrup.
The time it takes me to clear up the mess i made,hmmm cough....the mess the kids made. it's just not worth it for me,as well as the burning of my hands.
I have learnt my lesson here and the kitchen is for my partner only :D

Given up on making it - baker's supplies make it so much better than me!

Sugar cheap in Aldi - 62p/kg if I recall rightly...

R2

Hi Wightbees
I think you got away lightly given your use of a wok! You need a very large saucepan with a heavy bottom. I use a pressure cooker saucepan which is only just big enough.
Did you get found out?
Cazza

No,its looking good.she said that i have to help
the kids in future with making a cup of tea though
as there is sugar all over the kitchen floor. :D

Latest posts

Back