fold away hive stands

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeogi75

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15 nationals
just made three new hive stands £7.20p each

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

got fed up with stands taking up room in my car,so these will fold down its about the size of two brood boxes, and they grip the box the more weight the more they grip they hold 13 stone as ive tested them

Attachments

• DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC_0014.jpg
    DSC_0014.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 178
I don't understand, its a hive stand you don't take the floor and brood box off when you inspect, you just check on the frames.

I've posted this before. It is a hive stand for 4 colonies. Can't fit in the car boot, but it does fit in the truck.

hivestand.jpg

hivestand.folded.jpg

I can see how it grips the side of the box tighter the heavier it gets, but it would be a bit more hassle if you wanted to lift the box off the stand, say if doing a unite or putting a super underneath in Autumn. I think if it just gripped the floor and not the box, it would be more convenient.

Also, it looks to me if you lift the box off, the stand will just collapse unless the feet can dig into the ground?

I would prefer the standard folding stand with a crossbar on the legs so it stays put.

But... if it works for you, then that's what matters.

good one

What a good design.

At first I thought it would fall sideways but you have made sure it won't by putting the two cross beams there.
My initial thought was to have a diagonal but I think this would work just as well.

I like how when you pick up the hive from the stand that it will stay up and not fall over too.
5 stars for a robust design. Please post any design considerations you had whilst planning them.

thanks

What a good design.

At first I thought it would fall sideways but you have made sure it won't by putting the two cross beams there.
ks

I'd be more worried about it falling fore/aft . The legs are the same width as the box which will make for a tall tower without a wider base. On other designs I've seen the legs are set outside the dimensions of the hive for stability.

these will fold down its about the size of two brood boxes, and they grip the box the more weight the more they grip they hold 13 stone as ive tested them

Nice design!
I'd be a bit worried about the pressure they exert on the side of the brood box though. Have you measured it?
I appreciate that the angled sides of the legs aren't pushing directly in, but, I have some pretty heavy colonies and poly boxes

design recap:
if people did not want the legs leaning onto the box, you could put a batten across the top where the angle is and cut off the angled bit, which would trap against the cross members.i will keep them the same for now.

if people did not want the legs leaning onto the box, you could put a batten across the top where the angle is and cut off the angled bit, which would trap against the cross member

Yes. That would work. It would act as a wedge so there needn't be any pressure on the BB at all. I like it!

Yes. That would work. It would act as a wedge so there needn't be any pressure on the BB at all. I like it!

As in this offering: http://beesupplies.ie/product/hive-stands/
Admittedly the "baton" isn't particularly visible in that image but it is visible here: http://www.irishbeesupplies.com/Triple_Hive_Stand/p1800428_15074244.aspx
and here: http://www.donegalbees.ie/product/single-hive-stand/
The third one has a feature I have employed in my own (non folding) hive stands (at least the ones I havent had to build in a rush). The frame runners are spaced to allow frames to hang between them.

Worth looking at these, particularly for out apiaries where ground isn't always level. The ones I bought have adjustable legs on both sides.
stojak-statyw-stalowy-ocynkowany-1szt-x.jpg

I like those, but I bet they are expensive! Where did you get them and how much were they please?

I like those, but I bet they are expensive! Where did you get them and how much were they please?

About £60 a pair plus you need to buy the wood (about £6). Abelo sell them, or did :) I bought their last two pairs and want more.....when they get restocked....check with them as they may have arrived by now.
The stands will last a lifetime the wood may need replacing. I reckon you can stand about 5 hives per pair. 3 between and 2 on the overhang.

OK I have found them - Lyson (and other Polish brands).

Thanks for your reply - must have arrived as I was posting the above.

Last edited:
Put your mind to my problem.
Each year I set out bait hives ( modified old WBC broods ) at different locations.
At present each hive goes on a stack of 3 or 4 milk crates.

I would prefer some sort of equivalent stand which would take up less space in the car.

I don't understand why some hive stands have sloping legs? the most effective way of supporting a load it to have the legs straight. If you need to transport the stands just make them with bolt on legs with wing nuts

Latest posts

Back