What's been trying to get into my hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomH

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Visited an out apiary yesterday, a found the inspection tray on one of my poly hives had been pulled out, and broken in two with the two pieces around 8ft apart. No damage to the adjacent wooden hive on the same stand.

Claw marks on the back of the hive, and on the inspection tray. I'm assuming badger?

Anything I need to do, or should be worried about? Thankfully the hive permanently strapped to the stand, which in turn is staked into the ground, so it's nice and stable. Just worried with some persistence it may break through the poly boxes? Have got some spare weld mesh from our chicken coop, which I could rig up around it.

Pictures below.

Thanks
IMG_3379.jpeg IMG_3547.jpeg IMG_3654[1].JPEG

Looking at the claw marks ... I'd suspect a badger - they are quite capable of doing a lot of damage if they think there's something worth having ... I have one that regularly comes through the garden that makes mincemeat of woven fence panels ... unstoppable creatures - although I love to see them on the wildlife camera ...

Latest posts

Back