Floor question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishguy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 over wintered nucs
Very simple question this one. When one changes a hives floor each year, DO you still use again this floor again or does it get thrown away incase it has the potential of causing harm to the bees.

Very simple question this one. When one changes a hives floor each year, DO you still use again this floor again or does it get thrown away incase it has the potential of causing harm to the bees.

Don't throw it away. Scrape it clean (flame it if its a solid floor) and re-use it

Don't throw it away. Scrape it clean (flame it if its a solid floor) and re-use it

I thought this is what happens with them but ya never know. Now, need to get myself a blow torch

One of mine last year had a heap of gunk on the floor, but the others were clean as a whistle. It doesn't take lone to clean them off, although I wouldn't use a blow torch on a poly floor :)

I question the need to change a floor each year unless it's very dirty - checked all the home apiaries last week during that warm spell and they were all clean as a whistle.
People need to think more not just religiously follow the calendar and lists unchanged for over a century.

I usually start off with a clean floor remove the old one and scrape clean then give a quick flame over with a blow torch.
Move onto the next one with the now clean and flamed floor and do the same until done.
If a floor is found to be clean with no debris or dead bees I usually leave it in place although a quick blow torch would not be a bad idea.

I question the need to change a floor each year unless it's very dirty - checked all the home apiaries last week during that warm spell and they were all clean as a whistle.

Spot on. Strong hive of decent bees keep their floors nice and clean, with perhaps the exception of the very back corners. We never change the floors unless it is needed. In the wooden hives they are stapled on.

One exception would be colonies which build a significant number of what used to be known, terribly politically incorrectly, as 'nigger heads'. Don't know the more up to date name for them. They need scraping off as the queen may have run to the bottom of the bar and get nipped when being replaced.

More of an issue with the 3/8 floor we use than the deeper ones more commonly used on Nationals. 3/8 is enough and means mouse gurads are never needed.

However, when we DO change them or they come back to base for any reason, they get blow torched just as a precaution.

Wonder why I've got sugar syrup dripping down into floor

Using contact feeders? When the temperature fluctuates wildly and the feeder is no longer full, the air space expands and contracts according to the prevailing temperature. This 'bellowing' san force some syrup out and if it happens at certain times of day when the bees cannot collect it fast enough then you will get drippage. Can also happen if the feeder is not level.

Colony was strong in autumn ...not now ....couple of seams...my nuc is stronger.... Both swarms....we've got warm weather coming anything I should do.....sounds like people are opening up hives now.... There is a seam or so of dark wax cappings so there must be brood...fancy transferring to a poly

Last edited:
No we are not opening up hives now.......
Don't start fiddling yet! Injure your queen and you are in trouble. Maybe have a peek between frames but no full inspections!
E

Back