First Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braduk66

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

I just ordered my first bees for next April/May from a local beekeeper who is also going to be a mentor for my first year in bee keeping and I was just wondering do I need to get the bees examined before buying them. Just to make sure they are disease free!

If the beekeeper is kind enough to mentor you for a year
Why would you insult him by having some1 else come along to check his stock ,

Thanks for the advice, I will take it onboard.

I some countries you have to notify the authorities and/or get the bees inspected before moving them, so not an unreasonable question, especially if you've been reading on American forums or similar.

No need for that in the UK though. If you are very new to beekeeping, or just interested, it would be great if you could get your mentor to talk you through what you see on the frames at some point early on.

Hi

I just ordered my first bees for next April/May from a local beekeeper who is also going to be a mentor for my first year in bee keeping and I was just wondering do I need to get the bees examined before buying them. Just to make sure they are disease free!

braduk66
that's a good question, don't worry about asking questions you're not to sure about one way or the other, many of us (me) do the same. If you're asking it, there's others of us out there that have thought it :)

You and your mentor should register on BeeBase for free and impartial advice for beekeepers in the UK.

https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/public/register.cfm

Unfortunately many do not...... some beekeepers get very angry when they discover an unregistered site and beekeeper setting up camp right next to their established apiary... particularly when the incomer brings bee diseases in with his or her stock.

Your mentor should know the other beekeepers in the area and will be able to advise the best site for your new hobby.

Chons da

Hi

Rather than peeing your mentor off, just ask (in passing) about the last time his bees were checked. I am sure he/she would take pride in telling you about the glowing report he received......I do :)
S

Latest posts

Back