Feeding syrup for comb drawing?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smudger55

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What do people here suggest strength wise , what is best for drawing out foundation 2-1 or 1-1 ......

What do people here suggest strength wise , what is best for drawing out foundation 2-1 or 1-1 ......

1:1 in my opinion....But they'll only draw it out if they need it. (and it's not too cold) They won't draw it out just because you feed them, or want them to. I assume you already know this though.:)

Bees store quite much 1:1 syrup. But nowadays I use 20% sugar syrup in comb building with swarms. It forces to lift cell walls but guite few sugar will remain in combs.

Bees draw cell walls as long as level of syrup rises in the cell. They tend to store the food. The idea that draw comb first then ready and start then to store, it is not bees' goal.

I know that no one use 20% syrup, but it works fine. It is quite near natural nectar, at least nearer than 50%.

Last edited:
If you have crystallized honey frames from previous year, you may give 3-4 frames those, and then the rest are foundations.

With such start an artificial swarm will clean the crystallized frames and foundations will be drawn in a week. But only if bees fill the whole box and the hive has a laying queen.

So can i use my crystallized frames from last year to make up nucs?

Bees store quite much 1:1 syrup. But nowadays I use 20% sugar syrup in comb building with swarms. It forces to lift cell walls but guite few sugar will remain in combs.

Bees draw cell walls as long as level of syrup rises in the cell. They tend to store the food. The idea that draw comb first then ready and start then to store, it is not bees' goal.

I know that no one use 20% syrup, but it works fine. It is quite near natural nectar, at least nearer than 50%.

Is that 20 grammes of white granulated Lidl sugar in 1 liter of pure Finnish lake water OR 20g of sugar made up to 1 liter of water.

A molar solution would stop all this confusion... we should after all be using the international MKS system?

Mytten da

Is that 20 grammes of white granulated Lidl sugar in 1 liter of pure Finnish lake water OR 20g of sugar made up to 1 liter of water.

A molar solution would stop all this confusion... we should after all be using the international MKS system?

Mytten da

Here we go again :)

............. But nowadays I use 20% sugar syrup in comb building ..............

Here in Ireland, it used to be common to use one part sugar to two parts water for the purposes you mention. That gave a 33% concentration and worked quite well.

Mytten da

Bees do nothing with 200 g Sugar. IT does not help.

Feeder takes 8 litres, and that means for example 2 kg sugar and 8 litres water.

To draw one box of foundations needs 6 kg sugar. Bees bring something from nature and I look what happens after feeding 10 litres syrup.

IT takes 3-5 days that bees can draw those foundations, and light syrup starts to ferment if it stays too long in the feeder.

If you are not satisfied, put 3 kg sugar. We are not going to moon.

First pure lake is 15 km far away.... Its name is "White Lake".

Last edited:
Break the news tactfully please. ;)
:thanks:
Why is wine bottle 75cl and is most common measuring device around these parts!

So to 8 liters of water add 6kg sugar and bees will draw out one super of wax, now is that for a Langfroths or a National.
How much feed should you be giving to a Flow's hive????

Of course emptying the bottle is the fun part !:sunning:

Mytten da

Often when I make artificial swarms, we have a heavy nectar flow from raspberry. One box swarm brings 5 litre nectar a day. Do not feed the colony then, because they make sugar mixture honey.
.when it is rainy week, then sugar feeding is very good.

What is good in foundation drawing is that it polishes swarming fever away.

:thanks:
Why is wine bottle 75cl and is most common measuring device around these parts!

da
Hm. If you have one bottle and 5 persons, no one will be happy, if you share the bottle. But if one drinks it (smallest), everyone will be happy.

Finman, when we talk about Grams of sugar and quantity of water we are suggesting the mixing ratio and not how much to feed.
Doh!

Finman, when we talk about Grams of sugar and quantity of water we are suggesting the mixing ratio and not how much to feed.
Doh!

You are adult people out there. Mix as you wish. 20% syrup means 2 kg sugar and 8 kg water. Ask help from you wife if it does not succeed.

And feed as much as it seems to be good.

When I bought lots of swarms 50 years ago, I noticed that 6 kg sugar is good amount as syrup for one langstroth box.

Last edited:
Back