Feeding in Poly Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iainwilk01

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have a Paynes poly hive with a clear plastic crown board.
I currently have 3 small sticks placed on top of the frames with the plastic crown board on top with a 2 inch hole cut in the top and block of fondant over the hole. Then a super and roof on top.
All seems to be working ok at the minute but I did notice a bit of condensation in one corner of the crown board which could be of concern.
I'm wondering how people with the same setup have managed to feed fondant to their bees?

If its in the corners it won't be dripping on the bees so it's OK
You need to encase the fondant in insulation too.
Why are you feeding fondant right now, by the way?

The fondant is wrapped in cling film with a hole cut out the bottom for the bees to get in but after reading somewhere tonight, I might use a Tupperware/plastic tub with hole cut in.
I was feeding syrup (sugar and water 2:1) to a weak hive that hadn't collected many stores at all but loads of bees were drowning in it so feeding some fondant.
What bad am I doing by feeding them now?

Nothing bad about fondant but how were the bees drowning?
What sort of feeder did you use?
Are they eating the fondant?
You say it's a weak hive. How weak?
Would they be better in a nuc box?
questions questions.....sorry

The fondant is wrapped in cling film with a hole cut out the bottom for the bees to get in but after reading somewhere tonight, I might use a Tupperware/plastic tub with hole cut in.
I was feeding syrup (sugar and water 2:1) to a weak hive that hadn't collected many stores at all but loads of bees were drowning in it so feeding some fondant.
What bad am I doing by feeding them now?

None - but the usual form is to keep fondant for 'emergency' feeding late winter.
Some people feed nothing but fondant and have no problems.
Have they taken any of it down?

Used a rapid feeder and had no probs in the spring feeding 1:1 but some seem to be drowning now and was constantly picking out dead bees. Plus they weren't really drinking particularly fast.
They're not too weak in numbers but didn't collect any stores.
They are smashing in the fondant, I've got loads of it so if it won't affect the bees in a negative way, I'll continue to feed.

Some bees always drown in rapid feeders - one of those things. Personally I'd have persevered but it's too late now. Keep them going on the fondant - it's all sugar anyhow.

I currently have 3 small sticks placed on top of the frames with the plastic crown board on top with a 2 inch hole cut in the top and block of fondant over the hole. Then a super and roof on top.
All seems to be working ok at the minute but I did notice a bit of condensation in one corner of the crown board which could be of concern.
I'm wondering how people with the same setup have managed to feed fondant to their bees?

Leaving aside discussion about syrup / fondant I'm not clear why you have butchered your clear crownboard and put sticks under it. I'd have laid the fondant on top of the frames within the eke and set the crownboard on top of the eke without any holes, followed by insulated roof with the standard thin roof beefed up with more insulation.

Leaving aside discussion about syrup / fondant I'm not clear why you have butchered your clear crownboard and put sticks under it. I'd have laid the fondant on top of the frames within the eke and set the crownboard on top of the eke without any holes, followed by insulated roof with the standard thin roof beefed up with more insulation.

The plastic that comes with poly hives is thin and buckles under the weight of a feather. I have top space and the only way to prevent it is to do what op has done but I prefer to replace it with 6mm polycarbonate

Cheers for the replies. Next on the shopping list is an eke as I don't have any. Once I get one, I'll put the fondant onto of the frames and get some Perspex as a crownboard

Just looked at that poly carbonate, what a great alternative to the crap crownboard supplied. Insulated too.

I only use that flimsy plastic crownboard on the top of a large Paynes feeder.

Just looked at that poly carbonate, what a great alternative to the crap crownboard supplied. Insulated too.

Yes it really works well - I cut a hole in the middle with a hole saw the size of a rapid feeder hole and then glue the piece I have cut out to a square of polycarbonate and use that to block off the hole when not feeding - the bees propolise it to the point where it needs a hive tool to get it out.

Lots of advantages to 6mm polycarbonate crown boards. Go skip hunting for old shower screens - a lot of them were not glass but polycarbonate - check you local recycling sites as well ... much cheaper than buying it new.

I have only Paynes poly hives and use a super on top of the crown board to house my rapid feeders. I take the feeder of now and cover the hole in the crown board. I put a block of kingspan inside the super on top of the crownboard with a hole cut out to accommodate a rectangular plastic container to put fondant in when required. Cut the bottom off the container and the lid uppermost enables you to open the top of the container remove the cover over the hole and fill with fondant.
Mine do get condensation in every hive I have over winter. May help the bees when weathers bad as they don't need to go out for water?
It hasn't been a problem.

The plastic that comes with poly hives is thin and buckles under the weight of a feather. I have top space and the only way to prevent it is to do what op has done but I prefer to replace it with 6mm polycarbonate

I agree it's thin but the one I have hasn't been a problem. As I bought the nuc second hand I'm not certain it's an original but maybe 1mm thick?

I have only Paynes poly hives and use a super on top of the crown board to house my rapid feeders. I take the feeder of now and cover the hole in the crown board. I put a block of kingspan inside the super on top of the crownboard with a hole cut out to accommodate a rectangular plastic container to put fondant in when required. Cut the bottom off the container and the lid uppermost enables you to open the top of the container remove the cover over the hole and fill with fondant.
Mine do get condensation in every hive I have over winter. May help the bees when weathers bad as they don't need to go out for water?
It hasn't been a problem.

Hell fire!!

Don't we over complicate things us beekeepers. They manage to survive in the wild in all manner of places.
Thinking of making an automatic door for the hive this winter on a photocell. Closed at night and open during the day and connecting it to a frost stat so below 6 degrees it will close.

I agree it's thin but the one I have hasn't been a problem. As I bought the nuc second hand I'm not certain it's an original but maybe 1mm thick?

That's because it's a nuc, on a full hive it's a PITA no matter what the beespace. No reason to not use a normal, wooden framed board since the roof was improved, it won't sag and the roof will fit over it with no problem.

That's because it's a nuc, on a full hive it's a PITA no matter what the beespace. No reason to not use a normal, wooden framed board since the roof was improved, it won't sag and the roof will fit over it with no problem.

Exactly ... I like top bee space so my 6mm polycarb CB's have a 6mm rim made from the same stuff and I too have a super on the top filled with Kingspan and with the hole already there but covered it's easy to feed fondant if they need it.

The great joy of polycarb is that you can peer in at any time without distrurbing them - it's always reassuring to see bees busy in the hiive in the early spring without taking the CB off. That and the debris on the inspection board will tell you a lot about what they are up to ...

Back