Feeding Fondant ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuttingedge

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I am debating using Fondant in all of my mating Nucs as I need to be able to move them without spilling sugar syrup everywhere. Has anyone done this? Do they draw comb from fondant like they do from Syrup?

Thank you, that’s what I thought but wanted confirmation. It will make life much easier for me this season.

I am debating using Fondant in all of my mating Nucs as I need to be able to move them without spilling sugar syrup everywhere. Has anyone done this? Do they draw comb from fondant like they do from Syrup?

Spilling Sugar syrup everywhere starts robbing. Mere feeding syrup to nucs will destroy the nucs.

Our Association ONLY use fondant in mating nucs. I have followed their lead: much easier handling.

Combs are drawn normally...

For those using Fondant for mating Nucs, how much would you put in the feeder of something like an Apidea? Would you fill it up completely?

Why is that? We have always fed syrup without problems.

Because mating nucs cannot resist robbing pressure if robbers get syrup. That is why.

What means "always". 4 years or 40 y?

If bees have a good nectar flow, they are not interested on robbing. But on another situation they may have changed their mind.

Last edited:
I understand that robbers like syrup. We are only using syrup in mating Nucs to get them to draw comb. It is usually only for a few days in the Apideas and during a flow so we have not run into robbing problems with them. And about 6 years to answer your question.

I understand that robbers like syrup. We are only using syrup in mating Nucs to get them to draw comb. It is usually only for a few days in the Apideas and during a flow so we have not run into robbing problems with them. And about 6 years to answer your question.

I use in mating nucs normal frames. I have fed sometimes them with syryp, and often it has started the robbing.

I use to put into mating nuc one food comb, one brood comb and one foundation.

You may put a piece of ready comb too into a mating nuc.

What ever, guys have their superior systems over decades.

For those using Fondant for mating Nucs, how much would you put in the feeder of something like an Apidea? Would you fill it up completely?

Full right to the top. Otherwise they can hang from the top cover and start to make comb there. Not desirable. If right to the top they have nowhere else to hang around and start other than the place you want them to be.

Latest posts

Back