Feeding fondant and Queen excluders

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sure I found one once that had a guy using a cement mixer for mixing.

:laughing-smiley-014

I don't doubt the big boys will do that sort of thing. I was thinking more along the lines of making enough up for a couple of hives in a bowl in the kitchen, something we might all benefit from watching and discussing.

I'd be interested in consistency for instance.

I've downloaded a very good PDF book on feeding that was published in Australia with lots of different recipes in; but a picture paints a thousand words they do say, which should make a video priceless!

Peter
Cambridge UK

AH ok you had better put the cement mixer on the back burner then:)

I would wait for your wife to go shopping and use the Kenwood chef.

I will see if I can locate any video's on making up the mix.

Damn! I dont think my wife has that attachment for the mixer.

I use dough machine. Stuff must be warm that is does not break the machine.

Last edited:
That stuff must be soft but not so soft that it flows to the bottom.

hiiva1.jpg

Oh, thanks Finman. That looks much wetter than mine.

I've bought in Nektapol from Thorne's this year, which is also thinner than mine was but maybe not quite as thin as that.

Peter
Cambridge UK

Patty dries up in the heat of the hive and it must have moisture enough for 5-7 days.

that picture is a lot wetter than mine , mine is well on the dry side compared to that so I brought the nektapol from thornes aswell , just waiting for it to arrive, I was going to start feeding in the middle of next month with sugar and pollen,not a massive syrup feeder full but a honey jar full to get them feeding again and to get the queen laying again, me and my bees are all lucky because we live in birmingham i have all my bee hives inside a shed so we can do hive checks when ever we want and they start building up three weeks infront

<snip>

....me and my bees are all lucky because we live in birmingham i have all my bee hives inside a shed so we can do hive checks when ever we want and they start building up three weeks infront

Hi

That sounds like an interesting setup, any chance of a few pics?

I visited Galtee Bees a couple of years ago and Miche?l Mac Giolla Coda showed me round their breeding shed in his garden; it was a very interesting day.

He had room, in what might have been a 10 x 8 standard garden shed, to put three or four colonies inside (obviously they had made modifications to the shed to include hive stands and entrances through the walls etc.) and still have ample space to work round them. He told us how it enabled them to graft, or populate mini-nucs, even on wet days, and they get plenty of them in that part of Ireland. The tops of all the windows were missing, with a half inch gap that, he explained to my wife, was to let out any bees that got trapped in the shed. The bees will fly toward the window, then crawl up the glass until they escape.

When the inevitable rain started to fall we were invited into the kitchen for tea and scones, where our wives discussed some of the frustrations of being married to a beekeeper, and their tactics to foil our efforts to take over the house with bee books and paraphernalia, tricks I'll not divulge here, incase any wives are reading over shoulders <wink>

Peter
cambridge UK

Patty making and feeding needs quite practice.
Don't give up if it does not go at once.

I will take some picture tommorow to post. it is just like the one you have seen about 10foot by 8 foot. it can hold up to ten hives if i want, but half is storage of bee equipment the rest will be hives , I am planning to install six in total in this shed i also have friends who want bees at thier allotments in differant areas, all the bee keepers i meet in brimingham have there bees outside the edge of town ,where i want mine inside the town. also there is no rape for me to worry about. my mum lives in south warwickshire where i leant from my scholl and teachers and there is loads of rape

Latest posts

Back