Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

fizzle 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Hi All,

I have been handed a few partially filled brood frames from a hive lost during the winter. Not all of the honey is capped and I thought it smelled a bit fermented when I opened the bag. Would it be ok to put into a hive and let the bees clean them out before discarding the frames?

fizzle 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
What is the best way of discarding? Should I burn them or cut out the comb and save the frames?

enrico 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Bin them. Burning honey and wax attracts bees. Not worth trying to save the frames!

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives

Ian123 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Buy your frames as seconds in the sale I also have a decent wax extractor so can reclaim.

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Uncap the honey cells... wash out the honey ...cut the wax out and melt it down and make a candle... if you have time on your hands... then burn the frames.

Alternatively... burn the lot ... you don't get much wax out of brood frames but every little helps !

fizzle 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I have no wax making equipment but do plan on starting to collect wax. I assume a bucket with sealed lid is suitable enough to store wax?

Think I'll throw a match on this lot of frames except I've used them all on vEnTiLaTiOn 😬

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
How about giving them back to whoever you got them from?

fizzle 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Left a right ruddy mess in my wheelbarrow. Filled barrow with water and took the black liquid and poured over the strawberry and tomato plants. Not sure what good it will do them but figured there has to be some nutritional value in there.

hemo 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
6-10
Left a right ruddy mess in my wheelbarrow. Filled barrow with water and took the black liquid and poured over the strawberry and tomato plants. Not sure what good it will do them but figured there has to be some nutritional value in there.
Better safe then sorry, last thing you want is EFB or AFB spores spread about your colonies.

Latest posts