Feeding and treating for varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Compost Kid

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, tomorrow I am planning to remove the last two supers on my hive (one is almost full and the other is mostly drawn but hardly filled). I am planning to use Apiguard as soon as the supers are off as the mite count was too high.

The bees have approx 3 frames of stores in their brood box, will this be enough to sustain them for the four weeks that the Apiguard is on the hive, or should I give them some feed whilst treating for varroa.

If I need to feed, should I give them 1:1 syrup or thick syrup?

Any advice would be great, thank you.

Just adding that I intend to feed thick syrup next month, just wondering if I need to do it earlier or if 3 frames will be ok for them while the varroa treatment is on?

Last edited:
Hi, tomorrow I am planning to remove the last two supers on my hive (one is almost full and the other is mostly drawn but hardly filled). I am planning to use Apiguard as soon as the supers are off as the mite count was too high.

The bees have approx 3 frames of stores in their brood box, will this be enough to sustain them for the four weeks that the Apiguard is on the hive, or should I give them some feed whilst treating for varroa.

If I need to feed, should I give them 1:1 syrup or thick syrup?

Any advice would be great, thank you.

Just adding that I intend to feed thick syrup next month, just wondering if I need to do it earlier or if 3 frames will be ok for them while the varroa treatment is on?
I am in the same position as you. according to the website, I think they recommend not to feed but I would like to hear from Beeks that have used Apiguard in the past.

I am using Apiguard right now, I did it at this time last year too and I didn't feed. The brood boxes have plenty of stores so there is no need, plus they are still bringing stuff in from somewhere. Why would you need to feed just because you are using Apiguard?

Why would you need to feed just because you are using Apiguard?

I will have removed all the supers and wasn’t sure if three frames of stores would be enough, especially if the weather changes and they’re not able to forage as much.

I’ve read that although it’s not ideal to feed at the same time as treat for varroa, it can be done if you’re concerned that they don’t have enough stores.

And that’s the thing, do they have enough in three frames? This is my first experience of treating for varroa, so everything is new and above all I don’t want my hive to fail because I didn’t leave them enough to live on. My other two hives have a lot more stores so I’m not concerned about them. Thanks

I will have removed all the supers and wasn’t sure if three frames of stores would be enough, especially if the weather changes and they’re not able to forage as much.

I’ve read that although it’s not ideal to feed at the same time as treat for varroa, it can be done if you’re concerned that they don’t have enough stores.

And that’s the thing, do they have enough in three frames? This is my first experience of treating for varroa, so everything is new and above all I don’t want my hive to fail because I didn’t leave them enough to live on. My other two hives have a lot more stores so I’m not concerned about them. Thanks

Why don't you move some stores from the hives with the most into the hive with the least? That should remove any worry of starvation during treatment. You can reassess after treatment is over.

i doubt they would have an issue re feeding during apiguard treatment

i have heard people saying that feeding during apiguard can be quite helpful too since hte bees move up for the food

so, im going to take our supers off....then feed and apiguard together, then consider their stores for winter and feed some more if needed

Don't people read the stuff the manufacturers Vita europe put out? Apiguard relies on the bees distributing the stuff about the hive and if you feed this may result in the bees ignoring the Apiguard somewhat and not distributing it so efficiently
The following is off their website
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Can I feed my colonies whilst using Apiguard?"

Yes and No. It is better not to apply Apiguard whilst feeding simultaneously in case the bees spend all
their time taking the feed and not bothering to clean out the Apiguard gel. This is not a high risk and
will vary between different colonies, so, if you have to feed and treat at the same time, try it in a few
colonies first and see how the bees react.

Last edited:
Don't people read the stuff the manufacturers Vita europe put out? Apiguard relies on the bees distributing the stuff about the hive and if you feed this may result in the bees ignoring the Apiguard somewhat and not distributing it so efficiently
The following is off their website
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Can I feed my colonies whilst using Apiguard?"

Yes and No. It is better not to apply Apiguard whilst feeding simultaneously in case the bees spend all
their time taking the feed and not bothering to clean out the Apiguard gel. This is not a high risk and
will vary between different colonies, so, if you have to feed and treat at the same time, try it in a few
colonies first and see how the bees react.

Hi masterBK. I did read that passage. that was why in my reply to the OP I said that I had read that they advised not feeding during treatment. However to a newby like me "Yes and No" was rather ambiguous so I was interested to see what the experienced Beeks had to say.
Based on the comments so far, I think I will leave it off. They are still bringing stuff in and they have stores.

Sorry, I didn;t read your post thoroughly enough. I understand the possible need to feed now.

Latest posts

Back