Fatality

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
My colony has died since Wednesday.
They were doing fine as far as I could tell, munching dulcofact and foraging pollen since the beginning of February.There is a thick slab of close fitting insulation in the unused super and therefore excessive ventilation isn't an issue
They didn't go into winter particularly strong having had only about ten deep frames to live on and almost zero stores when I rescued them.
The fantastic weather has been followed by something slightly harsher.
Have I answered my own question or could something else caused it?
I have one very resentful near neighbour ....

Well if you want some ideas/guesses then you may want to tell us what you found/pictures 10 frame colonies should have no issues that’s ample, more to the point how many frames they actually covered

Any stores left in the hive?
This is the time of year that many get caught out.

The fantastic weather has been followed by something slightly harsher.
Have I answered my own question or could something else caused it?

Something else - a change back to more seasonal weather isn't going to suddenly kill them

Were there workers bodies heads down in empty chambers?

a change back to more seasonal weather isn't going to suddenly kill them

But the unseasonal warm weather?

Reckon they may have starved.

Last edited:
Thanks guys
Other than checking the fondant level on the CB I had not interfered at all so I have no idea what was going on inside.
I can have a look in a couple of days time and report back
Might have a look for some discarded tins of Raid too.
As a complete newb I'm a bit gutted,but trying to remain philosophical.
They were going to have to be moved out of their oddball hive so it's saved a bit of hassle but I was slightly looking forward to trying Polyhives plywood trick to get them transfered.

Thanks guys
Other than checking the fondant level on the CB I had not interfered at all so I have no idea what was going on inside.
I can have a look in a couple of days time and report back
Might have a look for some discarded tins of Raid too.
As a complete newb I'm a bit gutted,but trying to remain philosophical.
They were going to have to be moved out of their oddball hive so it's saved a bit of hassle but I was slightly looking forward to trying Polyhives plywood trick to get them transfered.

Don’t get too disheartened, we all lose colonies. Sounds like they were compromised early on, but my money would be varroa finished them off.
S

Don’t get too disheartened, we all lose colonies. Sounds like they were compromised early on, but my money would be varroa finished them off.
S

Could of been isolation feeding above the crown board ?

What would this look like?
The fondant is in a large flat slab encased in transparent plastic.I have been able to observe them feeding without the need for smoke or veil-I just prize out the insulation to check.No one was above the board.
They have got through half a kilo in 4 weeks
I really thought they were on the up.
I lifted up the slab this afternoon as there were no bees feeding ,no foragers and no-one on guard
No howl,just silence.
Horrible.
Despite this steep learning curve,I'm keen to get a post mortem,so would be really grateful if you guys would help.
I will know more on Wednesday.

Could of been isolation feeding above the crown board ?
Though possible and frankly there are lots of possible causes, I think unlikely. If bees were flying recently they would have been moving around the hive and would no doubt have found the hole in crown board/ fondant unless hole was very small. Personally, I like to ‘plonk’ fondant on top of bees, under a crown board if you use one.
Still say varroa is most likely cause, and would be interested to know treatment regime used
S

I rightfully inhereted some derelict hives and the land that they are on ,the neighbour thought they had rights to it.Sour grapes
Since my wife bought me a hive for Xmas I've become hooked ,I've started to assemble them from the heap they were in.Ive had rubbish dumped gates left open and the old hives scattered about.I can only attend once a week,so I'm fearing the worst .

None.
I was advised to feed,water,and leave well alone until the weather gets usable.
There were not many corpses being dragged out that I could ever see.
There is a varroa tray in the hive so I'll get that out for a once over next time

I rightfully inhereted some derelict hives and the land that they are on ,the neighbour thought they had rights to it.Sour grapes
Since my wife bought me a hive for Xmas I've become hooked ,I've started to assemble them from the heap they were in.Ive had rubbish dumped gates left open and the old hives scattered about.I can only attend once a week,so I'm fearing the worst .

Plastic CCTV warning signs and a dummy camera from Argos / ebay will put the nasty neighbors off,,,, and a padlock on the gate ?

Are you sure they are dead? Silly question but nowhere have you said you actually looked in the hive other than the hole in the crown board. Unless I missed it!
Just a thought!

Only way is open the hive and draw out the frames. There are dead bees, which have started to rotten and molden. Perhaps you can save some frames.

When a hive has brood in spring, it consumes very fast stores.

Dead colonies are usual after winter. It is not horrible, it is normal that such happens.

It is autopsy what you need to do.

The spell of fine weather can precipitate an inevitable death by getting the queen laying and the old bees dying off quick when their hypopharangeal glands have to ramp up to feed the new larvae. Sometimes if they've no reserves in their bodies this can be the final straw for lots all at the same time causing catastrophic population crash leading to colony death in no time.

Latest posts

Back