FAO DerekM

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Thanks for the info...I did know, I was trying to point out that the use of the word PIR by DerekM is pretty meaningless to most beekeepers...and builders merchants :). Factually correct perhaps, but unhelpful.
Like "dimensionally stable" how wonderful it sounds...but what does it mean.....You find the rear end of your horse in Andromeda and feed t'other end in Yorkshire?

Dimensionally stable = warps less when cut and left untaped or left out in the rain
PIR = one of cellotex , king span, recticel Etc...

For those of you who are hopeless at DIY and scream at hearing tearing gaffa tape. All is not lost, ready made "cosies" can be obtained for reasonable small numbers of drinking vouchers.
Here's one I bought earlier, no sticky tape required!
You can leave it on all year round if you wish.

images

If you get condensation and mould in the top of it, you need more top insulation

Think they have thickened the lids since I bought my two

They have ... But I also put either an eke or a super on top and put a slab or two of kingspan on top of the crownboard then the roof goes on top ... Works very well .... You can really feel the heat in the hive. But ...I also have some kngspan bonnets for timber hives and they i think are at least as effective ... But that's not from any measurement ... Just the elbow test !

How? You had to buy the cedar hive first.

I think he means if you already have timber hives its a cost effective way of improving the thermal attributes of the hives without having to replace them with poly ?

Are you vying with me for the accolade of village idiot ?.... If so ... Hands off !

I think he means if you already have timber hives its a cost effective way of improving the thermal attributes of the hives without having to replace them with poly ?

Are you vying with me for the accolade of village idiot ?.... If so ... Hands off !

Correct Pargyle in every way

Who the hell are you to call me an idiot?

Leave them on all year round, keeps heat in during the colder months and can stop the hive overheating if there's ever any hot weather. Helps them to ripen honey more easily too.
I thought of that......then what do you do if you have 4 supers on? I made a couple of "super deep" sleeves then thought that if there are gaps where they join ......?
So abandoned the idea. Mine are deep enough to take two super then they have to come off.
Leave them on, there's no real need to extend them over a stack of supers in the summer. Having a well insulated roof, or well insulated upper boxes, is better than nothing. :)

Latest posts

Back