Family exposed to bee venom

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margob99

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Can anyone point me to an old thread about family members acquiring allergy to bee venom based on being exposed to venom on beekeeper's suit? There was a link in an old thread on this topic, to a white paper or article about it. Sorry, I've searched high and low and can't find that particular link!

Thank you

Thanks for that Adrian, really enjoyed revisiting an old thread, lol, apricot kernels ! seems most threads, even on serious topics eventually descend into lunacy :icon_204-2:

I hadn't read as far as the apricot kernels before :icon_204-2:

I'm sitting here feeling an urge to comment further but that "descending into lunacy" thing happens very quickly on everything I think of :)

Margo,

I think there is a definite link/possibility.

My wife had several stings at one go about nine or ten years ago. She was unaffected at that time. A couple of years ago, the next bee sting resulted in a severe allergic response.

The hospital stopped short of classing it as anaphalactic shock, but an oxygen mask at the time of her sudden collapse into unconsciouness and the need for a stop to administer adrenaline, on the way to hospital, by the ambulance crew was fairly indicative of how serious it was.

My kit was stored in the house. She now carries an epipen. The likelihood of a connection is high.

RAB

:icon_204-2: Heh Heh! i'd forgotten the apricot kernels! better off eating the wrappings - at leat it'll keep you regular!

We had a 'cooking with honey' evening at the Association on Friday ... one of the recipes the demonstrator made was Apricot curd with Honey (using dried apricots) ... tested it out with scones and cream..... OMG .... best ever, even if she did use Asda honey !!

Margo,

I think there is a definite link/possibility.

My wife had several stings at one go about nine or ten years ago. She was unaffected at that time.

But Rab, why blame the clothes when those stings nine or ten years ago might have caused the allergy?

e.g. from http://www.maara.org/index.php?page=bee:
Who gets allergy to insect stings?
Anybody who is stung may become allergic to bee or wasp venom. The people most at risk are those with outdoor jobs like farmers, gardeners and grounds-men. Bee keepers have regular contact with honey bees and it is not unusual for them to become allergic.​
A

Last edited:
adrian - the key in your quote is the regular contact bit. mrs rab does not tend bees BUT does tend him.

Is it not probable that the multiple stings triggered the allergic response but the sustained low level exposure has maintained development? Quite possibly without the kickstart no problems would have presented.

adrian - the key in your quote is the regular contact bit. mrs rab does not tend bees BUT does tend him.

Well, I don't know how key the "regular" word is. I thought the key bit was "Anybody who is stung may become allergic".
The rest of that article describes how an allergy can develop after a sting.

Well, I don't know how key the "regular" word is. I thought the key bit was "Anybody who is stung may become allergic".
The rest of that article describes how an allergy can develop after a sting.

the bee keepers wife's syndrome is becasue the venom is not injected but ingested, The body of the beekeepers wife reacts to ingested venon differently, than the beekeeper does when injected with venom when he is being stung

The wife develops the allergy so then so when eventually stung you get the adverse reaction

Hi pargyle, any chance of putting up the recipe for the Apricot curd with Honey I would like to have ago.

Thanks

the bee keepers wife's syndrome

It may just be coincidence, of course, but the beekeeper from whom I purchased my first nationals was giving up beekeeping for that very reason - his wife had developed an allergic reaction to stings. Cannot remember how serious her reaction was but that was the reason he gave me. I was sceptical at the time but have since changed my viewpoint on the matter.

May have been his strain of bee that got my wife, too? (I can hear the alternative suggestions)
Definitely a hideously remote chance of that, I am thinking.

Latest posts

Back