Fake news

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be fair, this may not be fake news at all. Though it may well be poorly-researched, which does seem to be a recurring problem these days, along with poor grammar, spelling and proof-reading in written media. It's still entirely possible that one in four swimming pools have closed, permanently even, in the last three years.

I suspect that one of the reasons many swimming pools are financially viable is because of the fees paid to rent lanes or the entire pool by the likes of swimming clubs, many of which are struggling post-Covid. I know the club that I used to coach at has hugely cut back on pool time and the triathlon club that I currently coach at really ought to be reducing the number of lanes it hires because it surely can't be breaking even at the moment. Another local triathlon club has, so I've been told, ceased pool training altogether. The lane-swimming sessions that I swim in often have fewer than ten people in the pool when the capacity is around forty. Given how often I swim, I'm effectively probably only
paying about £1.30 for an hour in the water because of my membership. Ten people paying that much doesn't even cover the cost of the life guard.

The other big money-spinner for pools is swimming lessons, but again partly due to Covid there's still a shortage of life guards and swimming teachers (and people who want to train to do the job), so pools often can't take on as many learners as they'd like to. My son and daughter offered to teach at the same pool that I use during their school/uni holidays and practically had their arms ripped off. One lady who teaches there has already retired from it twice and was still working there last week.

I'm slightly surprised that the pool I swim at has remained open if I'm honest, but they're currently trying to reduce costs (and improve their environmental footprint, I guess) by reducing the water temperature, which is a bit of a double-edged sword. It's lovely for people like me who want to get in and swim hard. It's nowhere near as pleasant if you're a four year old child learning to swim or if you're a teacher working with the earlier stages and spending several hours in the water at a time.

James
A lot of sports centres/swimming pools are registered as 'charities' no idea why as the prices at mine are anything but charitable!.

Poor quality journalism is the norm from MSM
One of the curses of our times is the tendency to fail to discriminate the elements of a group. 'MSN' covers a range of organs, some of which display poor journalism, but some of which report and comment well. Some pander to popular tastes, while other ride above the dross. Some large organisations have to do both.

And then:the norm of new/social media is good quality journalism? Help! :)

Twas ever this. And the same for knocking the Beeb. There is nothing the billionaire-owned rightwing media would like to see more than the Beeb closed. Same goes for the Kremlin, whose hidden sticky fingers are all over social media. Sure it's the home of the liberal elite. Or the middle class as it used to be called. What it's underlying opponents understand, and those who do their bidding don't, is that a strong middle class is the glue that holds democracies together.
Or so my bees tell me. Rant over.

Two things Mark Twain is supposed to have said come to mind - (1) 'Truth is stranger than fiction. It has to be! Fiction has to be possible and truth doesn't!'.
That makes fiction a creation of the mind with truth ultimately being a matter of agreement.
I don't think any reporter has ever (2) “ let the truth get in the way of a good story,”

Two things Mark Twain is supposed to have said come to mind - (1) 'Truth is stranger than fiction. It has to be! Fiction has to be possible and truth doesn't!'.
That makes fiction a creation of the mind with truth ultimately being a matter of agreement.
I don't think any reporter has ever (2) “ let the truth get in the way of a good story,”
No, truth is what accords with reality. Not only is (whatever it speaks of) possible, it must be/have happened for it to be true.

Fiction doesn't represent reality. It is story, woven so as to appear real.

You have obviously never come across quality reportage. Don't worry you are not alone, either in that or in being in a muddle as to what truth is.

I don't really think you are Murox. I think you just wrote that post a little too off-the-cuff.

This thread reminds me: its so very easy to knock. You just go right ahead and press the keys. Its much harder to research, study, and create an informed and nuanced opinion. Some people truly never get around to it. Just join in the knocking; you'll have plenty of company.

So many people don't like balanced reporting from the BBC

I choose to believe that the BBC is generally pretty well-balanced given that there appear to be as many people claiming it is right wing biased as there are complain that it is biased to the left. Comments are often made that the employees are all "left wing loonies" whilst ignoring the fact that several very senior staff are members of the Tory party and even Tory donors.

James

At one point in my career 'breakfast' was an 05:00 hrs event in a canteen with the TV providing background noise.
It alternated between BBC news 24 and Russia Today.
In many instances the spin applied by the latter made you wonder if they were covering the same story.
The Beebs content may be being progressively dumbed down and diversified up but I wouldn't want to lose it.

These days a lot of the mainstream media just seems to be a mouthpiece for the political views of their owners. I don't count that as journalism at all.

James
You are not kidding .
Telegraph ran an article on why a wealth tax would not work in the UK.
The owners are tax dodging billionaires.
They held Switzerland(they have a wealth tax) up as why it would not work.
FFS Switzerland, wealthy country with a very healthy democracy !!!
You could not make it up but they do.......

Philosophically reality is also just a matter of agreement; actuality too.
I would say reality just is; and of our knowledge of it some is by agreement.

But the quality of what is agreed is so variable that that observation is rather moot.

So many people don't like balanced reporting from the BBC or anyone else if it doesn't fit in with their own prejudicies. They prefer to stick to their own biased outlets such as the Daily Mail or, even worse, social media and sites spouting conspiracy theories.
So if you question the BBC’s accuracy of reporting, that makes you a xenophobe or conspiracy theorist?

So if you question the BBC’s accuracy of reporting, that makes you a xenophobe or conspiracy theorist?

No, questioning is healthy, but not believing the news and slamming them for every story they run, just because what they report is not something you agree with, and then going to a news source that has less credibility, in order to justify your point of view, makes you a conspiracy theorist. Especially if you believe the latter source and don't investigate if they are right simply because they are spouting views you agree with.

IMO people are lazy, they would rather knee jerk and be outraged believing sensational conspiracy carp because it makes them feel good to be righteous and they think that they are 'saving' the country from fictional threats, than find out the real story.

We have the same problem here, case in point, the Freedom Trucker Convoy, what a joke they were. They cost this country millions in lost import and export revenue, policing costs and on and on.

Their manifesto demanded the Attorney General remove the PM and all cabinet, and appoint the Convoy leaders as our new government. These yo ho's had zero credentials to govern and yet wanted to remove an elected official. Does it get more totalitarian than that?? Some freedom heroes ( sarcasm).

They are still planning to gather again Sept. protesting all the same Covid rules that no longer exist. A day late and a dollar short.

No, questioning is healthy, but not believing the news and slamming them for every story they run, just because what they report is not something you agree with, and then going to a news source that has less credibility, in order to justify your point of view, makes you a conspiracy theorist.
And if you read/believe the daily mail?

Oh is that a newspaper. I thought it was a daily magazine for those who prefer not to read something more challenging!
My mother died in 2012. I have fond memories of her sitting at the kitchen table tutting over the Daily Mail spread out in front of her. I refused to debate anything she read but it gave her great pleasure nevertheless

Nobody said that, but I wouldn't want you to feel excluded if that's what you feel you are.

The BBC is not perfect, like anyone else, but at least it tries to be balanced unlike most other sources that have no such mandate.

Nobody said that, but I wouldn't want you to feel excluded if that's what you feel you are.

The BBC is not perfect, like anyone else, but at least it tries to be balanced unlike most other sources that have no such mandate.

Like all news organisations, including the "alternative" media, the BBC is subject to the prejudice of its editors.
In order to be unbalanced and to exert influence on the audience's perception of any specific matter, they don't even need to express an opinion; merely, they may omit to report or fully report some matters and can give disproportionate emphasis or airtime to others.
The BBC is very good at that.

Latest posts

Back