How to get All Beekeepers a Bad Name

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suggest you go put a bait hive up Neil............to our Aussie firends how did the election go, i guess you guys are crying over some sandpaper as we speak.............

Hi Ian 123, yes, choked on the vegemite on toast when I turned the tele on this morning. Bring on August 1.

I suggest you go put a bait hive up Neil............to our Aussie firends how did the election
go, i guess you guys are crying over some sandpaper as we speak.............

Yeah.. that "hide 'er in the budgie smugglers" just wasn't cricket, so to speak.
A moment in Aussie cricket history that'll mark the yGen mob forever an' a
day, dinkum like.

But no, no grist taken over what is a shock result, shock as in even those with
a few bob in the Bank well know the past 6years of Tory politics has hobbled
growth in every facet of Life, so the voters now telling the World exporting
our coal is a priority over lifting those falling behind is somewhat incredulous.
Buuuut as we (.AU) are whom we are..?.. no bitchin' and/or "whiteanting"
we'll all just get on with it, together.

It is only those bogans next door running 20colonys on the 1/4acre block that
will get right up most folks noses.
/grinz/

Bill

Let's think about that a moment.
Who would you register with? The BBKA, despite it's name, doesn't represent all beekeepers and has some very strange ideas about beekeeping. (...) also have their own bias (as shown in their survey last year which was heavily in favour of Amm/mongrels). Do you really want to be licenced by an organisation which is not impartial?
Its odd to me that more beekeepers are not in favour of developing locally adapted stock. Bringing in stock that is completely ill-adapted to the environment is not merely inviting, but creating and perpetuating the need to attend to health issues, and of course disruptive of the efforts of both wild bees and those keepers trying to help their stock stand on their own feet.

On a purely environmental basis: honeybees are a critical part of our natural ecology. Keeping them in perpetual ill-health by constantly injecting genes that disrupt their natural search for health is damaging to our own ecology.

This is not a matter of bias. It's a case of locating an informed view of the actions of importing. We need healthy bees. We need to recognise that imports are corrosive of that goal.

Why not? Far better than the Nanny state getting involved?
Ah, the dreaded nanny state trope. Thatcherism spun a million times through the tabloid rightwing press.
Bit of a giveaway that one.

you resurrect a 3 year old thread.
So I did! It popped up on my screen and I replied without examining the details. I had mistakenly thought I was still reading and replying to the (current) Bees destroyed at Dover thread.

So, I don't know how that happened.

Its odd to me that more beekeepers are not in favour of developing locally adapted stock. Bringing in stock that is completely ill-adapted to the environment is not merely inviting, but creating and perpetuating the need to attend to health issues, and of course disruptive of the efforts of both wild bees and those keepers trying to help their stock stand on their own feet.

On a purely environmental basis: honeybees are a critical part of our natural ecology. Keeping them in perpetual ill-health by constantly injecting genes that disrupt their natural search for health is damaging to our own ecology.

This is not a matter of bias. It's a case of locating an informed view of the actions of importing. We need healthy bees. We need to recognise that imports are corrosive of that goal.
Paul has left the forum so your question will go unanswered

So I did! It popped up on my screen and I replied without examining the details. I had mistakenly thought I was still reading and replying to the (current) Bees destroyed at Dover thread.

So, I don't know how that happened.
Probably the list of 'similar threads' that appear, regardless of the last post date.

On a purely environmental basis: honeybees are a critical part of our natural ecology. by constantly injecting genes that disrupt their natural search for health is damaging to our own ecology.

" Keeping them in perpetual ill-health" is something that is immoral.
So I take it you are in favour of varroa treatment.

The rest of what you wrote "imports are corrosive of that goal" could be applied to politics as well. - for much the same reasons.

I note that this is an old thread and would be interested to know how things turned out.

My own thoughts would be to notify the Bee Inspector who would be able to check on the health of the Bees and give advice.
Bee Inspectors can visit unregistered beekeepers.

Another thought was I started beekeeping with one hive after a 6 session course.
I had a lot to learn, and still do.
As each year passed I did splits thus increasing my hives and collected a few swarms from Queen cells I had missed.
It didn't take too long before my garden was off limits to my family due to the 8 colonies lined up side by side.
Fortunately following another swarm which landed in a neighbouring garden I was visited by a swarm collector from the local association.
(My neighbours didn't know I was a Beekeeper).
"Have you lost a any bees?" He asked.
He then helped me collect the swarm, and put me in contact with the local association.
They helped me find a suitable out apiary as well as lots of advice.
My family got the garden back.
And I started learning beekeeping

Latest posts

Back