Extractor Cleaning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darryl

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just about to do my first extraction. I have a borrowed four frame tangential extractor which needs a good clean. I can't reach down to the bottom of the tub to clean it due to the mechanisms and wondered if there is a standard procedure for cleansing extractors or will I have to dismantle it?

Just about to do my first extraction. I have a borrowed four frame tangential extractor which needs a good clean. I can't reach down to the bottom of the tub to clean it due to the mechanisms and wondered if there is a standard procedure for cleansing extractors or will I have to dismantle it?
Have you got or can you borrow a power washer ? When I bought my second hand Lega it arrived in a pretty filthy condition - had been left for about 10 years without use and had not been cleaned (properly) when it was put away ... you cannot begin to imagine what it was like. But ... an hour with the power washer got it to the state where it was reasonably clean (I still took it all apart and cleaned every bit by hand but I am a bit fussy about cleanliness). But ... the power washer broke the back of it.

Dismantling guarantees a good job.
Good honey deserves that.
I bought a plastic extractor (I couldn’t justify spending 500+ at this stage)... tried to take it apart to clean but it’s wasnt having any of it.

I cleaned it as best I could the way it was, with a damp cloth, but maybe the power washer is the way to go. I just hope the power isn’t too strong and it doesn’t damage the plastic parts.

Just use a hose. I never power wash mine....just use a garden hose
:iagree: all I ever use is a garden hose on the jet setting. Unless you acquired your extractor in an exceptionally filthy condition, you don't need anything more

I bought a plastic extractor (I couldn’t justify spending 500+ at this stage)... tried to take it apart to clean but it’s wasnt having any of it.

I cleaned it as best I could the way it was, with a damp cloth, but maybe the power washer is the way to go. I just hope the power isn’t too strong and it doesn’t damage the plastic parts.
I rinse with cold water then blast with steamer which sterilizes it

I just close the valve and use a hose, no need for any high pressure washing. Then after its drained I get in there with a towel to dry it off.

Thanks everyone. I dismantled it as it was not running smoothly. Cleaned the parts with hot soapy water followed by a good rinse to remove the suds. Replace various nuts/bolts with stainless as the previous used had used non-stainless (rusty) ones for some reason. Runs like a dream so spun 6 frames to test. Worked well apart from blowing one frame due to over keenness.

Worked well apart from blowing one frame due to over keenness.
using an extractor is like making love to a beautiful woman, it pays to take your time and build up slowly. Rushing up to full speed quickly will only result in blowing to soon and making a sticky mess

fb.jpg

Or evacuate :)

Latest posts

Back