extractor recommendation /advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
as with most things its all down to money ,we need a extractor we have 2 national hives 14x12 i think we could spend up to £400 but would prefer to spend £200 we would like a quality product with parts availability ,ideally dont mind second hand ,but im thinking maybe i might need to be able to clean a 14x12 frame oneday, i have read some 4 frame spinners take 2 14x12 or should i just get somtehing for the national supers and find some other way of extracting 14x12 if needed

Cheap and cheerful from SAF Natura 4 frame manual extractor. Right on your price target. They do come up second hand periodically as well.
Doesn't take the 14 x 12 frames but that's a different league and price bracket. I was lucky to get the Thomas Duomel 9 frame extractor with two sets of screens and the settling tank and filter second hand and lid for £125 in an auction last year. A bit bulky but solid and takes pretty much all frame sizes and even Manley with a bit of surgery on the frames sides to get them to fit. Very pleased and it works with a cordless drill to have a cheap electric option on it.

Doesn't take the 14 x 12 frames but that's a different league and price bracket. I was lucky to get the Thomas Duomel 9 frame extractor with two sets of screens and the settling tank and filter second hand and lid for £125 in an auction last year. A bit bulky but solid and takes pretty much all frame sizes and even Manley with a bit of surgery on the frames sides to get them to fit. Very pleased and it works with a cordless drill to have a cheap electric option on it.
You might be right I was thinking of their Four Frame Manual with side handle. Diameter circa16" and Height 23". I have one and it does take two 14x12 or four shallows or two standard brood. Best to measure the basket in the extractor to be certain

I have just rang Easibee and they said the 4 frame 127a and the 350 both take standard brood and deep brood
drum Size: Diameter : 41cm (16 1/8”)

I would confirm what they mean - 'deep' is the correct term for 14x8½" brood frames. 14x12 is classed as Jumbo
i asked about 14x12 and the lady did not know what i meant and she relayed the question to someone and the answer was they take 4 national super frames or 2 standard national brood or 2 national deep brood frames
i also just looked on there site and they sell 14x12 as national deep brood https://www.easibee.co.uk/product-c...al-frames-wax/national-deep-brood-frames-wax/

I run 14 x 12's and use the Demaree method of swarm control, so saw a need to be able to extract those frames, and last year bought this :
https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/extractors/manual-6-frame-tangential/
It does exactly what I want and has the additional bonus of being upgradeable to electric as Abelo supply a bolt on motor for it.

Strangely, it was cheaper to buy the manual version and the motor separately rather than buy the electric version assembled.....and you get the manual winding gear as backup!

Good quality, the only niggle being that the lid constantly tries to shut as the frames are being loaded/unloaded....easily remedied by my OH with a well placed rubber band......takes an Architect!😁

I run 14 x 12's and use the Demaree method of swarm control, so saw a need to be able to extract those frames, and last year bought this :
https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/extractors/manual-6-frame-tangential/
It does exactly what I want and has the additional bonus of being upgradeable to electric as Abelo supply a bolt on motor for it.

Strangely, it was cheaper to buy the manual version and the motor separately rather than buy the electric version assembled.....and you get the manual winding gear as backup!

Good quality, the only niggle being that the lid constantly tries to shut as the frames are being loaded/unloaded....easily remedied by my OH with a well placed rubber band......takes an Architect!😁
i think they must have changed that now as manual is £440 plus the motor is £295 =£735 (i think ) or electric one is £690
but its still nice to be able to spread the cost or just see how you go knowing you have the option to up grade i see there motor is quit universal fitting and will fit a range of extractors

Well i think we are settled on this one not hit the button yet its the saf natura model 350 with the setteling tank and filter built in .is there any disadvantage to this system ? or maybe any thing i may have over looked
https://www.easibee.co.uk/product/h...ess-steel-beekeeping-with-filter-easibee-350/
Had one for years - got it from Maisemores (they still sell them but a little dearer) |It's a good bit of kit, the built in settling tank is a bonus, long after I'd retired the the manual and upgraded to a 9 frame electric, I still used the settling tank arrangement to drain the honey from the big extractor. Strangely (for me) I had kept the original box to store it in and I eventually sold it at auction for not much less than I paid for it,

i think they must have changed that now as manual is £440 plus the motor is £295 =£735 (i think ) or electric one is £690
but its still nice to be able to spread the cost or just see how you go knowing you have the option to up grade i see there motor is quit universal fitting and will fit a range of extractors
Motor for that extractor is £210, extractor £440 making the total £650.....electric version £690, I don't get the pricing but hey ho, I get the manual kit free!

Model you've chosen looks good too.

Latest posts

Back