Extraction issues

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boys and girls! Radial extraction is not directional. Some extractors only turn in one direction.

However, with the combs mounted radially, the direction of rotation should be irrelevant.
!

In my minds eye I'm drawing the diagram explaining how you are both wrong, but seeing as my artistic skills are sub optimal and I would be stumped at how to upload a picture anyway I think I'll just describe a spinny thing with arrows pointing from it and an exploded view of the cell structure either side of the midrib under opposite spins, its a masterpiece in my imagination.

The early Th8rne electrificated radials only had non-reversible motor control, so would only run in one direction. Never been a problem extracting with it radially, but a bit of extra work with the tangential screens fitted (having to invert the frames as well as turning them).

In my minds eye I'm drawing the diagram explaining how you are both wrong, but seeing as my artistic skills are sub optimal and I would be stumped at how to upload a picture anyway I think I'll just describe a spinny thing with arrows pointing from it and an exploded view of the cell structure either side of the midrib under opposite spins, its a masterpiece in my imagination.

:iagree:

I started to attempt to describe possibly what you are imagining but would not have made any real sense so deleted it. But I do think there is a need to spin in both directions when using a radial extractor, to get every last drop out. :drool5::drool5::drool5:

But each to their own.

So we have two schools of thought emerging which is not very many for here.

Firstly we have the both ways school of thought who have as evidence a gut fealing and a imaginary diagram which has been eloquently described.

In the other corner we have actual usage of 'older machines'.

Place bets Now!

In the other corner we have actual usage of 'older machines'.
And physical scientists, engineers, etc.

At constant rotation speed, the forces are acting along the radius - so their direction is the same for both sides of a radially-mounted comb.

At constant rotation speed, the forces are acting along the radius - so their direction is the same for both sides of a radially-mounted comb.

Since when have members of this Forum, let facts get in the way of cast-iron prejudice?

Dusty

:iagree:

But I do think there is a need to spin in both directions when using a radial extractor, to get every last drop out. :drool5::drool5::drool5:
QUOTE]

:iagree: Tangenital yes, radial no

Mine spins in both directions

Stumbled accross a few of thise in my line of work! :eek:

You are obviously unaware of air resistance and fluid friction, which in only one direction of spin greatly help extracting one side of the comb compared to the other.

You are obviously unaware of air resistance and fluid friction, which in only one direction of spin greatly help extracting one side of the comb compared to the other.

Very good point indeed. So which side extracts faster, leading or trailing? Or does it depend on the exact dimensions of the extractor?

The force is centripetal - honey travels outwards from the frames, not dribbling down the one side!

Sorry, but air resistance has very little to do with it, at constant speed.

The air in the extractor will also be spun round, by and with the frames.
If it helps, you could think that each frame was travelling in the slipstream of the one just ahead of it.
The airflow between the combs may be a little turbulent, but that is simply one more factor making for an insignificant difference between leading and trailing sides.

Itma,

We are clearly wasting our time. They are clearly not aware of the forces applied to the honey and are stuck with their limited views on the subject.

Not worth arguing about and they appear to not accept anything that clearly makes sense to anyone with a science background.

Trust this forum to take a very simple subject and over complicate it with irrelevent crap

Don't worry beginners. Beekeeping is relatively easy to learn. You don't need a PHD in physics, it's just that some beekeepers are very anal and pedantic :D

Put honey frames in spinny thing. Spin the spinny thing. Honey comes out. Yum

In extraction very important thing is tempereture of
- the honey in combs
- room temperature

I have a heat champer where I can put 200 kg honey in frames.
It takes 4 hours to extract with 6 frame motor extractor.
I heat the honey up to 35c.

Another thing is exctraction room. 25C is possible to be. Last year I made an insulated exctracting room (finally). Sometimes room temp has been 17C and it is impossible to handle ectraction then.

However, warm honey comes out easily from combs.
Another thing is that it goes via sieves and small particles rise to honey surface.

Then the honey should be in low temperature (15C) that it starts to crystalise in controlled way.

Latest posts

Back