Extraction and honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clemcook

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

I use a method where I take off all the honey and comb and let it drain through muslin over a bucket.

Could this be why all why homey is now cloudy and set? Because of the wax particals?

Thanks

Hi,

I use a method where I take off all the honey and comb and let it drain through muslin over a bucket.

Could this be why all why homey is now cloudy and set? Because of the wax particals?

Thanks

No. Nearly all honey sets at some stage. How fast depends on the forage they were on. You may have some nice soft set with small crystals that are soft on the tongue?

Every crop is different. Most honeys cloud and crystalise. I have an info label on my jars that tells buyers this. It is a natural process. But some don't. They stay clear and runny for ever. It is identifying the crop and trying to separate them by extracting at the right time that is half the fun!
E

Hello fellow beekeepers,

Just a quick question. My honey has now been settling for about 6 days in my settling tank. However when I started jarring it, I realised it's still cloudy. Is this normal. Should I leave it a little long to ensure its clear when I do jar it? I filtered the honey when I was extracting it, using a double stainless steel sieve. Thanks in advance. I doubt it has started to crystalize, however this is only a gut feeling, plus all frames were capped upon extraction. cheers

You may have pollen grains suspended in honey.

Probably crystals. When first formed they can easily get through the sieve. If it bothers you try warming a small sample.

Latest posts

Back