EU funding thread

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
EU funding increased to boost beekeeping sector

The European Commission has approved the national programmes for all 27 EU member states to improve the production and marketing of apiculture products for 2011-2013.

The EU contribution to the financing of the programmes has increased by almost 25% compared to the previous funding period (2008-10), from 26 million euro (21.2 million GBP) to 32 million euro (26.1 million GBP) per year. The United Kingdom will receive 2,222,387 euro (1,814,579 GBP) of EU funding over the three year period.

The health of the beekeeping sector is a sensitive issue given the fundamental role of bees for pollination.

For several years the sector has been facing an unprecedented mortality of bees. This not only makes the economic situation difficult for beekeepers, but also poses a threat to biodiversity. The national programmes are currently the only tool available to partially offset the loss of bees.

Member States have been satisfied with the benefits provided by these programmes and the positive effect is also widely recognized by beekeepers.

Against this background the Commission decided to increase the overall annual budget allocated for the co-financing of the national programmes to increase the effectiveness of the programmes and demonstrate the proactive approach of the Commission towards resolving the problems of a highly sensitive sector.

The national beekeeping programmes relate to different measures, such as control of varroasis, rationalisation of transhumance, support for laboratories, restocking of hives, applied research programmes and technical assistance.

Definately good news, I hope that there is funding 'ringfenced' to help promote learning and good beekeeping at the grassroots level. In the UK we are reliant on us 'enthusiastic amateurs' and a number of professionals.

Whereas I know in other parts of the EU and certainly in the USA beekeeping generally is run more as a commercial enterprise, so it would be easier for that money to trickle down to the Apiculturists.

I just hope that the money is not wasted on bureaucracy and that organisations that help to promote beekeeping get their fair share!

Here in my area of France they are getting very organized.

Becoming most professional. However with the French that means forms in triplicate etc. I am actually surprised they have not asked for the names of all my queen's grandmother's names!!! (LOL)
However I bought my Varroa medicine last year they later sent me back a refund that they said came from the EU.

I have already ordered and received my Apivar.

Interesting that a beefarmer has access to a 'grant'. I agree with Muswell on his prognosis.

However....perhaps there is a way for hobbyists to benefit ? If anyone knows the qualifying criteria then PLEASE let us know !

S

Sticking my neck out a long way here. So I am very probably wrong...

Years ago Bob Couston was the or one of the UK reps on Conba, and he said that the UK got it's due share of EU bee money but it vanished into the coffers of general government.

It may be different now.

PH

I dowt it's different now ph lol

i think you'll find it mostly goes to the NBU(or whatever its called now), the bee inspectors have to be paid by someone, then there's research, etc etc

The national beekeeping programmes relate to different measures, such as control of varroasis, rationalisation of transhumance, support for laboratories, restocking of hives, applied research programmes and technical assistance

Another gravy train then and a total waste of money.

Chris

That's the NBU which did all the research on varroa control and has not yet approved oxalic acid then?

Members of C*nwy BKA are setting up a National Beekeeping Centre for Wales in the ***** Valley. This will be mainly funded by European money. It will be based at the new Bodnant Welsh Food Centre, opening in March 2012. The Beekeeping Centre has been set up as a Community Interest Company. More info to follow.
Individual groups can access European money, but it is very very difficult.

Back