Engaging with new BKA members

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem is its the same people doing all the running around to organise these extra things. Trying to get anyone else to help out is a dark art that every association struggles with. We had people moaning about not enough stuff going on despite lots of regular talks, but when asked if they would like to help to organise it they are then far too busy.
You will find with any association that there are the main core of people that turn up to most/every meeting then the ones that turn up only if there is something different going on. I tend to turn up to most as I like a good chat with anyone about anything.

The problem is its the same people doing all the running around to organise these extra things. Trying to get anyone else to help out is a dark art that every association struggles with. We had people moaning about not enough stuff going on despite lots of regular talks, but when asked if they would like to help to organise it they are then far too busy......

That is so true (and not just beekeeping)... though there are the other club syndromes
b) you have to prise the incumbent off their perch, or wait till they fall off it.
c) only those who have been admitted to the inner sanctum can propose stuff"

Though I have mostly come across the situation you mention i.e. type a) muggins et al desperately running round in decreasing circles, with little tangible support from masses who are afraid of getting caught in the same hamster wheel.

If local BKA's want new members to engage, then embrace them whole heartedly.
At almost every meeting I've been to, it's the same people in the same little cliques. If anything makes new members feel excluded, it's that !

Have meetings just for beginners or new members only, between the regular monthly meetings, with two or three old hands.
It's a confidence building exercise on both sides.

I've heard this conversation many times with a newcomer :
Not seen you here before, how many hives have you got ? where do you keep them ?
What type of hives are they ?..... Oh I wouldn't be using -----, you should've got -----. Where did you get your bees ? Wrong bees for round here, I wouldn't have those if you gave 'em to me....

And so it goes on.

I've heard this conversation many times with a newcomer :
Not seen you here before, how many hives have you got ? where do you keep them ?
What type of hives are they ?..... Oh I wouldn't be using -----, you should've got -----. Where did you get your bees ? Wrong bees for round here, I wouldn't have those if you gave 'em to me....
And so it goes on.
Normal chatter amongst Beekeepers ,especially newbies :) what's your point .
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I must admit to being one of those who only attends rarely. I know I should but it's a 40 minute drive from home to the usual venue, and the meetings tend to be midweek. After a day at work I usually don't feel like a quick snack then out again. Then there's the Catch 22. I don't know anyone there so I don't go, because I'd feel like an outsider. But if I don't go I'll not get to know anyone there.

Meetings

Well ... I think you would probably miss out on an awful lot ... visiting speakers often bring lots of ideas to the table and there is always discussion over a pot of tea and biscuits afterwards, help is always on hand and relationships are made with like (and often not like) minded people. There are things that you don't really get from reading ... and many of the speakers are only indirectly bee related ... this year we've had cooking with honey, candle making, microscophy and a full day on bee health/disease as well as a very interesting talk from someone who had spent several months on a bee farm in China ! There are apiary visits during the season rather than evening meetings .... it's not just useful - it's invaluable.

I agree, it really is worth the time and effort to go to your local meeting, such a lot is learned not only from the speaker but from chatting to others listening to there views and telling them your own.

Dave W

Just to clarify,

I was responding to the original poster who wanted to know why so many people join their local BKA but don't attend many events. I was pointing out that I don't enjoy going to talks. I would think many young beekeepers, who have only recently finished their education, may feel the same.

I talk to a lot of local beekeepers, swap ideas, ask for advice etc. I don't need to go to a meeting to do this. I accept that I may be missing out on some gems of information but that isn't enough to persuade me to go along to one of the talks.

I've been attending my local group for over a year and, while they are lovely people, they were overtly not very welcoming. I'll be suggesting that one or two of the more gregarious members act as Greeters at meetings so that any new face that appears would be greeted and introduced to one or two members with similar interests or from the same area.
One of the more popular meetings was an "extraction" meeting, where members with honey brought their combs to the meeting and the whole evening was spent working through the frames using the group's motorised extractor - it was very instructional for newbees and productive for everybody!
The meetings at the group's apiary are always popular with up to eight inexperienced beekeepers being lead through hive manipulations by a couple of beekeepers and on one occasion by the SBI. Honey from the group's hives was extracted at the above extraction meeting.
The great thing about all meetings is there is always CAKE!

CVB

I've just joined, but not been to any event for fear of....
"I've heard this conversation many times with a newcomer :
What type of hives are they ?..... Oh I wouldn't be using -----, you should've got -----. Where did you get your bees ? Wrong bees for round here, I wouldn't have those if you gave 'em to me...."

...and others like them.

I'd not be tempted by offers unless they were incredible savings to be had. Maybe a new member's evening, tea, coffee and chat, no stand up speeches....Hi, My names Itchy and I'm a .........

Last edited:
Always scrummy cake at Brighton & Lewes... very informal winter evenings and fun but good speakers too.
In the summer we start out apiary meetings with beginners only for first half hour then the 'oldies' can stroll up. Less intimidating for them and they get a better 'look in'.

Someone to greet them at the door

Cake

Committee to wear badges to identify themselves ( and anyone else who wants one from our show stand!)

Cake

Dont let the grumpy old (men) beekeepers dominate the evening by saying everything the new beek has bought is wrong

Cake

new blood on the committe

Did I mention Cake ?

Someone to greet them at the door Yes :welcome:

Cake Yes, honey sponge

Committee to wear badges to identify themselves ( and anyone else who wants one from our show stand!) Yes

Cake Yes honey flapjacks

Dont let the grumpy old (men) beekeepers dominate the evening by saying everything the new beek has bought is wrong Not allowed- each to their own we say. Just advise sticking to one type!

Cake Yes, Chocolate

new blood on the committee I tried, but it is only problem- older ones great, but not everyone!

Did I mention Cake ? Did I say YES

Someone to greet them at the door Yes :welcome:

Cake Yes, honey sponge

Committee to wear badges to identify themselves ( and anyone else who wants one from our show stand!) Yes

Cake Yes honey flapjacks

Dont let the grumpy old (men) beekeepers dominate the evening by saying everything the new beek has bought is wrong Not allowed- each to their own we say. Just advise sticking to one type!

Cake Yes, Chocolate

new blood on the committee I tried, but it is only problem- older ones great, but not everyone!

Did I mention Cake ? Did I say YES

AND chocolate digestive biscuits please :)

Latest posts

Back