EMERGENCY sheep/bee attack...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately with bees buzzing around their faces and chasing them sheep cleverly often run 'away' towards the offending hive.

I think take your 4 and times it by 10 or 20 + stings around your mouth and eyes and potentially for a lamb that is little bigger than a large cat that is a huge amount of venom for such a small body.

These sheep did indeed get off lightly today. But still horrible to see.

Do what you are comfortable with ;)

That does look like a small area. Where my apiary is they have access to two other fields. Last year I had an extremely defensive hive where I got covered head to toe with bees in another apiary and the farm dog got chased back to the farmhouse. Needless to say the hive got moved and requeened. If they are defensive they get requeened.

That does look like a small area. Where my apiary is they have access to two other fields. Last year I had an extremely defensive hive where I got covered head to toe with bees in another apiary and the farm dog got chased back to the farmhouse. Needless to say the hive got moved and requeened. If they are defensive they get requeened.

Do notice there are no hives in the picture.

The orchard is probably 4 times that.

Some on here have a stupid attitude.

Bees can kill and have been known to kill other animals. Sheep, hens, dogs, horses. Just search the site for thevrelevant posts. They are there. Sometimes kill the beekeeper, too. It happens.

If there is a risk, it can happen. Ignore those that have the above attitude.

The bees should have been moved away immediately. As per the thread title - emergency!

Some on here have a stupid attitude.

Bees can kill and have been known to kill other animals. Sheep, hens, dogs, horses. Just search the site for thevrelevant posts. They are there. Sometimes kill the beekeeper, too. It happens.

If there is a risk, it can happen. Ignore those that have the above attitude.

The bees should have been moved away immediately. As per the thread title - emergency!

I agree...the new bees I have are not as quiet as my old ones...and will be requeened as soon as the queens arrive. Until then...it has been divide and conquer.....they are quiet ATM but as you say who knows for how long.

Funny enough i had to do an inspection today and guess what the silly horse came and stuck its head over the fence about 2yards away from me while i was rooting through a brood + half jam packed from top to bottom with not so nice bees, the bees where pinging of me left right and center, the horse got zapped and sharp headed in the other direction at full speed, the only thing that got killed where the stinging bees. ;) .

I'm not going to add anything useful this thread other than to say :thanks:to the OP for raising the issue (putting head above parapet etc.). It can happen to all of us so :thanks:again.

I have a dog pen/run close to the hives. During a manipulation I heard barking and howls - went to investigate and found that bees had cornered the three dogs in their shed and were picking them off. I released the animals whom vanished to the house (in panic tore through the house pulling wires computers etc behind them. The oldest dog unfortunately ran to me for succour as I was closing the hive and was literally covered in bees I was brushing off him as we retreated at pace. Phoned Vet who recommended a once off in a lifetime half paracetamol for each. All survived but obviously now weary of bees. Had previously worked bees without incident and became complacent - the Dog Pen is now redundant but the incident was a lesson learned - matters can get out of hand. One worry is that I am surrounded by sheep (working farm next door) but not directly in eye line of bees. Hope your requeening goes well.

I have a dog pen/run close to the hives. During a manipulation I heard barking and howls - went to investigate and found that bees had cornered the three dogs in their shed and were picking them off. I released the animals whom vanished to the house (in panic tore through the house pulling wires computers etc behind them. The oldest dog unfortunately ran to me for succour as I was closing the hive and was literally covered in bees I was brushing off him as we retreated at pace. Phoned Vet who recommended a once off in a lifetime half paracetamol for each. All survived but obviously now weary of bees. Had previously worked bees without incident and became complacent - the Dog Pen is now redundant but the incident was a lesson learned - matters can get out of hand. One worry is that I am surrounded by sheep (working farm next door) but not directly in eye line of bees. Hope your requeening goes well.

That must have been scary but a penned in animal is a sitting duck with nowhere to run, however the paracetamol could have done more damage than the bees (not good for pooches) get a new Vet.

Millet - Was scarey as the old guy was quite literally covered - Vet advised as you have but in the circs (plus time/distance) with the caution went for the 1/2 tab. Will give him the benefit .....

Millet - Was scarey as the old guy was quite literally covered - Vet advised as you have but in the circs (plus time/distance) with the caution went for the 1/2 tab. Will give him the benefit .....

Paracetamol is OK for dogs though not recommended, it's not very painkilling
A 20Kg dog won't be poisoned till it eats 5 paracetamol tablets so I reckon you were safe

I was not having a bad vibe or dig at you but your situation must have been on red alert, on the Paracetamol take your chance imho , i will not, aspirin is safer , i have lost couple pooches over the years through bad advice from vets, which all wriggled out to try and blame it on something else, some do not have a clue pound signs make the tick over, the real vet's are the ones who charge half and Greyhound vet's are the Elite, you don't get messed about from them.
Anyway rant over and you and the pooches pulled safe in the end.;)

There is no one in my garden when I'm in with the bees and I only mow the grass near them in the evening when it's cold. I let the dogs back in the garden after about half an hour of finishing with the bees. The hives are fenced off with netting but I think I will put solid fences in now after reading this story so the bees stay high.

Ive noticed cattle don't seem too bothered. They always follow me up the 15 acre grass field and watch over the gate when inspecting and never seem to budge. It's the flies biting that make them run.

Everyone has to realise that I inspected all last summer with sheep in the orchard and it was all absolutely fine... this was when a big hive suddenly got very angry and started attacking. It was not standard bees in the air inspection.

This is one patch of my suit. The ankle of one leg. 20+ stings.

e65cf33a7185fdd7246bb5566871da60.jpg

Latest posts

Back