Electric shock from light switch

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROACHMAN

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
50+
When I switch on my kitchen light I get a slight shock from the button

Why would this happen? I thought plastic doesnt conduct electricity.

is the problem a faulty switch or is there a bigger problem ?

Get the switch changed by a sparky . Possibly the contacts have worn to the point of arcing , created a film of carbon around the switch toggle , add moisture and you have tracking ?
Do you have your place protected by an RCD ?
If not why not? :)
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

May well have an RCD Victor as plenty of people have split box with only the sockets on the RCD and the light not.

Catch up Tom . The best practice is to have a split consumer unit each separately protected by RCDs.
VM

Get the switch changed by a sparky . Possibly the contacts have worn to the point of arcing , created a film of carbon around the switch toggle , add moisture and you have tracking ?
Do you have your place protected by an RCD ?
If not why not? :)
VM

Get a sparky to investigate indeed but don't assume rcds are a panacea. Any mechanical device can malfunction at the worst possible time.

Catch up Tom . The best practice is to have a split consumer unit each separately protected by RCDs.
VM

Just getting mine updated like that as I want electric put back in my garage so have been told I need to go to the 17th edition.

Anything to add cost. lol

VM

Nice not seen that.

Thankfully at home mostly I only worry about 12v so I am a bit behind.

I find a piece cut from a six inch nail does the job beautifully

Yeah, and a little tingle from a light switch never hurt nobody, give it a wipe with a damp cloth and it should last a few more years.

Sweat,salt, leads to tears! :D
VM

When I switch on my kitchen light I get a slight shock from the button

Why would this happen? I thought plastic doesnt conduct electricity.

is the problem a faulty switch or is there a bigger problem ?

Best check for moisture inside the switch box as well ... we had a tiny leak from a Central heating pipe that ran along the top of a wall in the ceiling void .. not enough of a drip to cause any stuctural damage but it was enough to run down the block wall behind the drywall and collect in the metal switch box for the light ... just gave us a tingle when the light was switched on as obviously not enough moisture to conduct for a full blown belt of 220volts. Took ages to find out the real cause - switch replaced, wiring checked - was still getting shocks.

I don't know how my mother survived the advent of domestic electricity . I can see her on a Tuesday, standing in the kitchen wearing steel shod clogs on a wet flag floor. Ironing clothes (Monday was washing day) she used an electric iron plugged into a light socket via a 'bayonet adaptor' thus rendering the earth feature redundant .
Picture the scene ,everything wet, iron clogs in contact with true earth, iron only class1 insulation and no earth connection except Mum !
Survive it she did All the ingredients for a disaster !
Another dangerous practice was to repair leaks in a flexible gas lead to a gas ring with hard soap!
Enough to make a HSE commit Hari Kari .
VM q

We have just had a very expensive rewire and now every circuit is connected through an RCBO, our electrician has just been on a course to update this 17th Edition of the IEE Regulations, he kept us amused for hours whilst he ranted on about charging circuits for electric vehicles, did you know most people charging up their motability scooters are breaking the law!

All this because Doris plugged in an electric blanket and blew the fuse box!

Or parking a vehicle with a full petrol tank on ones drive!
VM

Thank god part P had its teeth pulled last April...

It took a couple of years after moving in to discover that the someone had circumvented the RCD in the bathroom by disconnecting the earth...

Their reseason for doing this was the nail in the ceiling had shorted live and earth together.

so the shaver socket pattress was live as was the screws visible on the surface.

The frame of the over mirror light was live as well..

back on the subject.

I would check to see if the switch to pattress screws are clipping the live wire.

Between £100 and £300 depending on where you live :D
VM

Part P of the building regs was a Prescott jobs for his sparky pals wheeze. It meant loads of paper work for any changes to house wiring and a very expensive training course... After April 2013 Part P only really means anything if you are messing with the consumer unit. ( all caveats and exemptions apply ... electrocution or setting fire to house your problem)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back