Early Increase

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BILL.HEARD

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
I'm concerned with the increasing number of threads where beekeepers are trying to make early increase. you can't make good nucs unless you have plenty of material to work with, by that I mean having at least two brood chambers full of brood and a large supply of fertile drones.
There are exceptions but most colonies around here are just about filling 7/8 frames of brood and the first drones have just started to fly, hardly a large drone congregation area yet.
Most of the problems this spring arise from the number of scrub queens that are now starting to fail due to incomplete fertilisation last summer, we will be perpetuating this problem unless we take more care in the rearing and mating of our queens this year.

:iagree:
But there are exceptions for those who rear queens as a regular and yearly part of their beekeeping as most will have put some drone comb into suitable hives to poduce a suitable gene pool thats hopefully ready in time for the first queens. As above this is not so for most as they are working with what ever their hives are producing at the time which at this time is really too soon for reliable queens. Unless you have no choice at all then I'd certainly wait another 14 days at least before spliting a good colony.
Ab

I agree with the lack of drones and often during high summer plenty of hives have unhealthy drone populations.

What do you mean Tom? Do you mean DWV due to varroa or something else?

Mainly it seems to me plenty of beekeepers are obsessed with drone eradication. They come across as thinking a healthy drone population is a bad thing and then worry if the queen will mate ok. If left to it the ibees are happy with approx 20% drone comb.

Mainly it seems to me plenty of beekeepers are obsessed with drone eradication. They come across as thinking a healthy drone population is a bad thing and then worry if the queen will mate ok. If left to it the ibees are happy with approx 20% drone comb.

:iagree:

I also think too much is said about removing drone brood, if the colony has good temperament let the drones be, they will hopefully mate with good queens and keep the good temperament going in the area.

... if the colony has good temperament let the drones be, they will hopefully mate with good queens and keep the good temperament going in the area.

Although, if the temperament isn't good, then drone culling would be doing a favour to all the local beeks, not just yourself.

My TBHs seem to be producing drones - as normal...no shortage here..

I don't cull.. for some reason my mite counts appear very low for the past 2 years..

Although, if the temperament isn't good, then drone culling would be doing a favour to all the local beeks, not just yourself.

Queen culling would be better and easier

Queen culling would be better and easier

Yes, :iagree: Tom, if you have a mated queen to hand or eggs from a better colony so they raise another.

Latest posts

Back