Dye

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Have we any textile experts/aged hippies /off-grid pioneers among us who can advise on a mordant to fix soda/propolis solution?
All I know on the subject is different dyes need different fixes so salt,being the layman's answer,may not be the right choice.

I do dye garments regularly as part of my job, but i’m no chemist. The dyes I use which require soda ash also require salt, whereas the acid dyes require vinegar. What are you trying to do? Dye fabric with a propolis solution?

Yes
I have a Johnny Cash style rack of old grubby white suits that are all one repair away from the bin.
Seems a shame also to throw away the solution.
I could give the salt a go-to not much at stake after all.

Yes
I have a Johnny Cash style rack of old grubby white suits that are all one repair away from the bin.
Seems a shame also to throw away the solution.
I could give the salt a go-to not much at stake after all.
Thanks Mabee
We have new suits on the way so the really worst of the old ones can be a guinea pig.
Any special requirements /proportion/temps/duration for this that you could foresee?

You must have a lot of propolis to make a dye bath? I’m not sure how it will work, if it dyes you’ll find it may not dye everything the same, I always dye the fabric components separately before making up as different fabrics require different treatment. However, i’m sure that’s not so important to you. If you can warm the mixture then put the suits into it and i’d leave it 24 hrs to soak in. You can add the salt at any stage, depends how big your container is, usually the more salt the deeper the colour but that is when you are working with specific dyes. Sorry that’s not a lot of help, you can always just buy a machine dye and stick it through the washing machine if all else fails. i’ve done that with a few of my suits in khaki colours.

Perhaps I could use it a a bait hive!

I rotate equipment fairly often so I have a supply of filthy hot orange water almost on tap
Not really that fussy on consistent shade - just as long as it isn't grubby white!
That's some good info to get started with,thank you

Dylan khaki cold water dye is going to be more reliable for a good result and little cost... I love re-purrposing but your plan even exceeds some of my worst ideas !
Well at least Ill have something to mop up the mess with.
Sod the lot of you-Im trying it:ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back