Dutch Ban on Ritual Slaughter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That seems a tad extreme, and hardly doing the kids any favours. let adults make up there own minds.

Everytime something like this comes up there is always a lot of discrimination against farmers, why are they hated so when they are such an important part of our lives?

:iagree:
However, I do think kids should understand that the death of an animal is involved in getting meat onto their plates. Both my kids have helped me kill, paunch, skin and butcher rabbits - but I don't think a trip to an abbatoir would be appropriate for young children.

I think farmers get an anormous amount of unecessary stick, usually from people who have little understanding of the reality of farming practices. Pretty much every farmer I know (and I know a lot) treats their stock better than the average person treats their dog!

I think farmers get an anormous amount of unecessary stick, usually from people who have little understanding of the reality of farming practices. Pretty much every farmer I know (and I know a lot) treats their stock better than the average person treats their dog!

True but unfortunately those who practice good animal husbandry rarely get the mainstream press coverage that the bad ones do....

That said, I know one farm that i would dearly love a few journalists to visit. It is not 'quite' as bad as it was a few years ago but........

all meat from NZ is Halal ( NZ lamb)

I was interested in this, so did a little bit of research.
From what I can find, 70% of NZ lamb exports are halal. But, apparently the halal process used DOES allow the stunning of the animal before ritual slaughter as long as the animal is still alive and the actual slaughter is conducted in line with the religious rites.
So, much as it pains me as a Welshman to stand up for New Zealand lamb, I can't really see a great deal of difference between their slaughter system (if done correctly of course) and ours.

Yes, I read that too. If the animal is stunned first then it seems to make little difference,as you say.
I think supermarkets should label it though.
I suppose the only way to avoid ritual slaughtered meat is to eat pork.

How does a Welsh farmer find a small sheep in long grass ?

irresistable !

i work for a major supermarket not t,a,m but you will find all meat in any supermarket is now kosher they will not say it but it is easier to do it that way to keep islamic religeon happy as quote valued customers unquote

Should meat therefore be labelled as such? Then we could choose to make an "informed choice" (the GM brigade are trying to finagle their goods onto our shelves by not having to be labelled) - I'm all for us knowing all about where/how/by what means our food is grown and prepared..

Should meat therefore be labelled as such? Then we could choose to make an "informed choice" (the GM brigade are trying to finagle their goods onto our shelves by not having to be labelled) - I'm all for us knowing all about where/how/by what means our food is grown and prepared..

If our Overlords want us beeks to label our honey GM if it contains a nanogram of GM pollen blown to the UK on the wind form China ... then I want to go to a supermarket and see meat from ritually slaughtered animals labelled as such.

Is this absolutely certain?
I find it hard to believe that a muslim would buy meat that was not labelled halal. So what is the benefit to the supermarket?

i work for a major supermarket not t,a,m but you will find all meat in any supermarket is now kosher they will not say it but it is easier to do it that way to keep islamic religeon happy as quote valued customers unquote

The obvious answer is go to your local independent butcher who will be able to tell you all about the meat up to and including (in many cases) the farm it came from.

The truth is even the 'prime quality extra matured' labelled stuff in supermarkets is not as such, and only marginally better than snacking on your own footwear.
Go to a proper butcher (and I don't mean these high street chain type places that are just meat sellers with a stripey apron)- the more that do the better he can keep his prices down

Latest posts

Back